1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Painting Classroom

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by science1, Jun 27, 2019.

1. science1

science1 New commenter

Hello

Have been asked to paint my classroom over the holidays. Feel aggrieved as I did not volunteer, work part-time and feel I'm not being given a choice!?! Thoughts and advice appreciated - thanks x

pepper5 likes this.
  2. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

3. HolyMahogany

HolyMahogany Occasional commenter

No, absolutely not, this is not part of your contractual obligation as a teacher, unless you have signed a contract agreeing to take responsibility for school maintenance, I think / hope not.
    What next - resurface the playground, fix the leaking roof.
    If it is that important then the SLT can get some paint brushes and do something useful.

4. bonxie

bonxie Senior commenter

Not your job so not your responsibility. The person who asked you knows this. Just refuse. Contact your union if your SLT is foolish enough to want to make an issue of it. Apart from anything else, your holiday is your holiday. It's not time when you should be expected to do the janitorial work around the building!

bevdex, rolysol, Catgirl1964 and 9 others like this.
  5. Lala24

Lala24 New commenter

No. No. No. no. No. No. And I’m so terribly sorry but I’m away from July 24th till September 3rd. Failing that, I’m £35per hour, but unfortunately my personal liability insurance just ran out. Oh, and I haven’t had my ladder training.

6. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

I suggest you set up an easel, do a still life, and then present it to SLT in the Autumn. You've painted your classroom.

Or, alternatively, send a polite but firm letter pointing out that this is not part of your contract. This is why schools employ and pay site staff. If they insist, Union.

7. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Goodness me, have we come to this?:eek:

Here are a few suggested replies:

'No'
    'No, I'm allergic to paint'
    'No, I'm away during the holidays'
    'Yes, my terms are £500 per day plus expenses'
    'It's not April 1st yet and anyway I don't find that funny'
    'Yes, if you come round to me place and wipe my **** every morning...'

8. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Respond with a very uncompetitive quote, and the number of a local painter and decorator for a second quote.

Before I started my probationary (ie NQT) year in 1982 I actually painted my classroom during the holiday, but that was by choice, and the psychology of marking one's territory in a boys' secondary modern proved sound.

No way would I comply with the instruction you've been given.

Freeze!, bevdex, Catgirl1964 and 12 others like this.
  9. dodie102

dodie102 Occasional commenter

I’ve done it but you certainly shouldn’t have been told to!!!

Marisha, chelsea2, pepper5 and 5 others like this.
  10. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

11. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Have you been ladder trained? Are you covered by the school's insurance to work at height?

Freeze!, snowyhead, bevdex and 16 others like this.
  12. CheeseMongler

CheeseMongler Lead commenter

Do you work at CalF123's school?!

13. FrauRussell

FrauRussell New commenter

Doesn't matter whether you are part time or full time, this is not ok. You say you've been asked. So say no. That's hard to do, but it needs to be done. Try not to say "sorry". Just be polite but firm. I doubt their insurance covers you to do this, anyway. Presumably ladders/heights are involved, not a good thing for untrained staff. It will be difficult if colleagues say yes, but stand your ground. Good luck.

Catgirl1964, Marisha, pepper5 and 6 others like this.
  14. catmother

catmother Star commenter

2005 and only 1 post?

15. thejudgesscoresarein

thejudgesscoresarein Occasional commenter

Why have you been asked? You are a teacher not a painter/decorator, it’s not your job. The school should employ a maintenance team to do this work.

16. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

Don't say "Sorry". Say "I'm afraid I will not be doing that." Then walk away and if they ask again, get your union to tell them no.
    That is, if this is real...

17. mainscaler

mainscaler New commenter

18. science1

science1 New commenter

Thank-you everyone - I really appreciate your comments. I plan to contact my union tomorrow for advice. X

19. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

You think you need the union? Why? You don't need the union. You just need to say no. They ain't gonna hold your hand on this.

20. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Lead commenter

I would contact the Union so that they can put one across the school's bow for all the other teachers who are being asked/emotionally blackmailed ("Think of the children!") into attempting work that is outside their contract.

It is probably not just the OP that is being given an offer they find hard to refuse.

hhhh, suzuki1690, Marisha and 4 others like this.