1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Paint

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lilachardy, Jul 31, 2011.

1. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Okay, so for many of you this will come into the common sense category, but for me it's not!

I am painting a chest of drawers, converting from natural pine to white. No problems there.

However, I saw a chest in a shop and fell in love with it (thought I had ordered one to buy, but that's another story!) - it had a single magenta/raspberry coloured drawer, and another in deep damson/aubergine/blackcurrant colour.
    Where can I buy small quantities of suitable paint? I can buy a litre at the DIY store, but I clearly don't need anything like that amount, especially as I'm after 2 colours. And to be honest, the selection of colours available isn't great either! I know I can get paint mixed, but again, you have to buy far more than I'd need. I wouldn't foresee using the rest of it up on something else either.

The other idea I'm now toying with is painting the knobs in my chosen colours - would spray paint be a possibility here?

Help! Any ideas gratefully received! Thanks in advance.

2. lilachardy

Okay, so for many of you this will come into the common sense category, but for me it's not!

I am painting a chest of drawers, converting from natural pine to white. No problems there.

However, I saw a chest in a shop and fell in love with it (thought I had ordered one to buy, but that's another story!) - it had a single magenta/raspberry coloured drawer, and another in deep damson/aubergine/blackcurrant colour.
    Where can I buy small quantities of suitable paint? I can buy a litre at the DIY store, but I clearly don't need anything like that amount, especially as I'm after 2 colours. And to be honest, the selection of colours available isn't great either! I know I can get paint mixed, but again, you have to buy far more than I'd need. I wouldn't foresee using the rest of it up on something else either.

The other idea I'm now toying with is painting the knobs in my chosen colours - would spray paint be a possibility here?

Help! Any ideas gratefully received! Thanks in advance.

3. Buy the tester pots.
    If you go on dulux website you can order specific shades of testers, should be enough to do what you are describing.

4. lilachardy

Tester pots are always vinyl matt or vinyl silk - not really a suitable finish for painting wood.

5. Worked fine on my dressing table [​IMG]

6. lilachardy

Is it hard wearing enough?

7. I'm sure Dulux do their tailor made paints that are mixed in store in a range of finishes. Definitely got some gloss testers this way a few years ago.

8. lilachardy

Thanks.

The website says they don't do testers of Tailor Made paint - 0.75 litres is the smallest.

I might follow earlier advice and go for a matt testerpot - if it's not hard wearing enough I can think again!

9. Suck-egg department: you realise that you can't just slap the paint on without preparing the surface first?

10. From Homebase website:
    <h3>Dulux paint mixing</h3>

Choose the perfect colours for your home with the help of Dulux
    colour cards. With over 1,200 colours arranged into four mood groups
    simply decide which colour is right for you and we'll mix the paint
    while you wait.

Finishes available include Vinyl Matt and Vinyl Silk, Soft Sheen,
    Once and Kitchen & Bathroom emulsion, High Gloss, Satinwood, Quick
    Drying Satin and Quick Drying Gloss, and Weathershield Smooth and
    Textured Masonry paint.

For convenience, paint can sizes range from a 250ml tester pot up to a 5 litre can.

11. lilachardy

Yes.

12. lilachardy

Yes, I read that too - then when I delved further it emerged that they only do the 250ml for vinyl matt, silk and satin finishes!

13. B***ards

14. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

See - you don't learn that kind of practical advice at school!! Actually, there's lots of practical things I didn't learn at school that would have been helpful nowadays.