1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Paint Stations in Primary Schools

Discussion in 'Art and design' started by TamsinEmily, Jan 23, 2011.

1. Hi,
    I became art coordinator at my school this year and have reviewed the kinds of paint we need and use. The school had a policy that the children should predominantly use poster paint, they should be taught how to mix the poster paint at a 'paint station' from early years. However, most of the teachers in school were not doing this and because of having no ready-mix they simply didn't do painting (embarrasingly enough- myself included). I thought that as they are not covering the curriculum I would order ready-mix paint, the children can still learn how to mix different colours using ready mix. Not to mention the fact that it is very difficult to get a good consistency witht the poster paint if too much/too little water is added and that it takes longer to dry, you can't do printing with it etc.
    Getting to the point, my headteacher thinks she saw/read something a while ago that said that it is part of the curriculum that children must know how to mix powder paint. I thought this unlikely and after double checking cannot find anything anywhere about it being necessary to use paint stations or powder paint, as long as children do know how to mix colours.
    Has anyone else heard of this?
    I've now looked into buying those blocks of paint instead as a compromise!
    Thankyou :)

2. No advice from me but just wanted to say that powder paint is horrible stuff to use.

3. Sorry, I don't know either, but as a provider of our paint station in reception/ nursery would love to hear ideas of how people manage to maintain these areas during free access.
    In my experience it starts of well but before long I have several collections of brown paint.
    The children like the blocks but they have difficulty creating consistent colour and texture to complete larger areas in their work.Powder paint has been even more difficult unless some adult guidance is regularly available.

4. A few years ago I attend a 6 day course on teaching art in Primary school. We were advised that the best way to do this was to teach skills rather than topics. For example, painting would start with a lesson on colour mixing enabling pupils to mix secondary then tertiary colour. The next lesson could be tone, give white and one primary colour which they gradually add and see how many shades they can make on a long strip of paper. Next a lesson on warm/cool colours, painting a picture using either. Once they've had lots of practice with colour mixing, move on to whatever the theme is, then, if ready mixed paints would work better they can be used.
    Some tips were; never put black on the tables, give lolly sticks for adding more colour, limit colours so that they don't always end up with brown. We were also told only powder paint should be used in KS1 and that other paints could be used in KS2. However, at our school KS1 teachers don't do colour mixing, so they start when they get to KS2.