1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

paint stain removal

Discussion in 'Personal' started by emilystrange, Aug 11, 2011.

1. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

i have a cotton dress that somehow has got a paint stain on the back. i suspect it was there when i bought it but i didn't check it over for ages and prob left it too late...

anyway, i've tried stain devils which has got a lot of it out, but there's still a fair bit. it seems to be quite a plasticy paint.

anyone got any good ideas? i tried a bit of white spirit today as well.

2. emilystrange

i have a cotton dress that somehow has got a paint stain on the back. i suspect it was there when i bought it but i didn't check it over for ages and prob left it too late...

anyway, i've tried stain devils which has got a lot of it out, but there's still a fair bit. it seems to be quite a plasticy paint.

anyone got any good ideas? i tried a bit of white spirit today as well.

3. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

Just a thought - don't know if it will work - if it's plasticy, could you put the dress in the freezer and pick the paint off when it's frozen?

4. emilystrange

i will have a go!

5. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

Good luck [​IMG] Hope it works!

6. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

First, soak it overnight and see if it's softened the paint - acrylic paint will sometimes ease up a bit to let you pick it off if it hasn't been hotwashed already.
    If it's cotton, you could try some white spirit - that's usually the only way to get it off, but it may melt synthetic fabrics.

7. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Depending on the fabric, try scrubbing it too - sometimes it just gradually gets pickled off.