1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Painful thumbs

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by Lalad, Feb 1, 2011.

1. Lalad

Lalad Lead commenter

This seems very trivial compared with other things on here but over the past week or so both my thumbs have become very painful, especially when I am opening jars or bottles or gripping things. When it was restricted to just one thumb, I thought I had sprained it, but now I'm not so sure. Has anyone else experienced this?
    Lalad

2. Lalad

Lalad Lead commenter

This seems very trivial compared with other things on here but over the past week or so both my thumbs have become very painful, especially when I am opening jars or bottles or gripping things. When it was restricted to just one thumb, I thought I had sprained it, but now I'm not so sure. Has anyone else experienced this?
    Lalad

3. Do you use a laptop? I use my fingertips to use the trackpad and the sides of my thumbs to click the buttons, and end up with aching thumbs. I do it without even realising until afterwards.

4. If it continues, I'd get it checked out by your GP. Many arthritic/autoimmune conditions start slowly this way, only affecting a couple of joints, then building up to involve more joints. If you have symmetrical pain, i.e in both hands, it's worth a trip to the doc just to make sure. Wait a few days and see if it settles though, it could be you've just overdone something.

5. Lalad

Lalad Lead commenter

Thank you for your replies - there is no family history of arthritis so I'll probably do as you suggest and adopt a "wait and see" approach. I'm trying to think of what I could have done to have brought it on!
    Although <font size="3" face="Times New Roman">I do use a laptop, it's not that often and not in the way described. Also it is both thumbs, rather than just the one. Today I was folding some strips of paper in class and it was really painful when I pressed (gently) along the fold.</font> Lalad

6. This might sound a bit random but have you recently had to push a pushchair or a wheelchair if you weren't used to it, or had to push one further or over harder terrain than usual? I had a very similar problem for a while when my son was a baby and I pushed him along a long beach of softish sand, so there was much more resistance than on the pavement. If this sounds like it could be you, don't panic - mine cleared up on their own within a few weeks.

7. Lalad

Lalad Lead commenter

It's funny, but until I saw your post I had totally forgotten that I was moving an awkwardly shaped bookcase recently with my sons, and would obviously have used both hands for that, although I didn't feel anything at the time. It could be a sprain then, so might take a few weeks to settle I guess.
    Lal