1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

pain

Discussion in 'Personal' started by hkpoppy, Dec 24, 2011.

1. I have had three children, torn both hamstrings, and a fractured knee. I now have a broken arm. I tripped over my sons festival tent. The pain is dtreadful. It is the worst pain that I have ever had to deal wiith. Any advice? I thought that the NHS would have plastered it but apparentlly they now let it heal itself. I think it is a new directive to save money. Just like us they are being told what to. Ibufren due now. Anyone else had to deal with terrible physical pain? Sorry if poor kryboard sills. Only one hand.

2. What meds did they advise?
    They don't hard plaster these days unless a fracture in unstable. It increases the healing time.
    If it is any help I have 3 or 4 students a year who break something (rugby is a bit physical apparently) and they never get a solid cast and are usually back on the field in an incredibly short time!

Are you doubling up your meds? Paracetamol and then brufen as separate tablets every 2 hours?
    Did they not suggest cocodamol for the first 1 or 2 days (and ABSOLUTELY no longer)?

I hope you get the hang of it soon! xx

3. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

Oh no
    now you won't be able to cook dinner, wash up, hoover - anything. How terrible!
    You can take ibuprofen and paracetemol alterntately but get medical advice on that - and they do have stronger drugs - but if you like a drink well..............
    I once slipped coming out of the doctor's on the disabled ramp. It was raining and I was cross with the doctor because he said he had to cancel my appointment because he was going out urgently to a drug addict.... so I did not go back in just got home. My arm was in pain for weeks and off and on for months. It is the fluid that goes to the injury. It was probably a broken wrist bone.
    It was very painful. But not as bad as child birth.
    You could go back to the hospital and get it checked out again just to be on the safe side. Sometimes at A and E you don't get the best advice- they just make sure you are not going to die and then hand you on to others.
    The pain should lessen over the next few days if not def go back and get it looked at again.

4. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

You need to be looked after from the sound of it? Phone your GP and ask if there is anything that could be prescribed - someone could pick up a prescription for you?
    No peeling spuds or sprouts for you this year?

5. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Oh, do <u>so </u>sympathise. No sprouts or peeling for me this year either. Don't apologise for all the typos. I'm getting less as i'm so getting used to typing one-handed but still lots get through.
    Had my hand operated on 11 weeks ago and been in pain ever since. Won't operate again until all healed internally and orthotics dept can't see me until Feb, when they can <u>start</u> investigating some device to 'train my finger in the right direction'- at present in hypextension and VERY painful-imagine lots of liitle red hot pins sticking all over the finger and you get the picture and finger bent back in opposite direction and it's so easy to 'catch it' when trying to do most things around the house.
    Eventually they've prescribed Tramadol for me as all the Ibrupofen (400mg strong ones) I took to help reduce the swelling and help pain relief has given me the usual ulcer problems.
    My problem( though no-one's admitting to it) is I believe that I was given a 'slab splint' over the whole hand after the op and it force my finger into an unnatural position, was left on longer than it should have been . . . So perhaps a plaster isn't such a bad idea. Had 2 friends who've had to have their casts redone when they were too tight!
    Do go and see someone and REALLY lay it on how much pain you're in.

6. dande

dande New commenter

When I first read this I thought you had done all those injuries at once and had three children to look after!!!!
    Must just prove it... childbirth is nothing! [​IMG]
    Hope you're better soon!

7. Yes pobble i am doing the ibufren/pacetamol. Youre rugby pupils are youner than me and able to get over this nore quickly. Can undersrand the reasoning for not putting my arm in a hard cast but I think it would be better for ne, so I don`t try to do m ore than i can do. it would be better so that my children would be able to see that i had a bad arm. hy hoe my daugter got all the food in yesterday, and will do the cooking tomorrow. Giraffa i have been to the follow up fractute clinic yesterdat and he just say to leave the sling on. sorry spelling **** onlly one hand, christmas is goig to be difficlt. can`t have a shower not got ballance, can`t have bathno purchace to get out of. going tp figure out how get clean stasnding up with flannel and wash hair. Any advice?

8. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

You can bath and wash hair sitting on a stool in the bath and with a helper to do the rinsing with a jug?

9. Ooooooh! Misery indeed.
    All those things you don't think about until you can't use an arm or hand!
    Put your feet up and let everyone else do everything for you. You deserve it!
    Not sure about a wash though - that sounds complicated. Can you get a sink shower attachment? They only cost about a tenner and I am sure they would be a much easier - but still 2 man - job!
    Good luck xx

10. My 88 yr old mum had a fall recently and broke her arm (near the shoulder). The hospital never gave her any pain meds (she had some in the ambulance but nothing further). They discharged her without any pain meds and just told me to give her paracetamol and ibuprofen! I think this is definitely a money saving move. Luckily my mum is a real stoic and never complains - I had to stop giving her ibuprofen as it made her sick - so she just had paracetamol. She's been to a physiotherapist who couldn't believe the hospital hadn't given her something stronger.

I was given Tramadol when I was in hospital with a kidney stone. This is a really good painkiller which is opiate based so can be taken alongside paracetamol safely.

11. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Sympathies, pain is dreadful, my TN keeps breaking through the Tegretol, I will eat Christmas dinner tomorrow!!
    Can you delegate jobs to the family, supervise from a high stool maybe? Not sure what to suggest about washing though.
    Hope all goes well tomorrow.

12. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

hkpoppy
    So yes showering is a pain! We had 2 large plasticbags first one held with an elastic band, 2nd one tied with string- so no chance of any water getting through and husband helped me, so that was slightly easier. Yes plastic garden chair or stool works well in shower or bath to cope with the 'lack of balance'. Kneeling in front of bath (plastic bags on arm ) and an extendable shower hose helped me do the hair wash thing. If your bathroom's warm enough yhat migh work to put that liquid soap on a sponge for a washdown too!
    Keep wearing the sling to remind the family 'mummy has a poor;y arm.
    How we take it for granted we have the use of both hands! Until we have to cope without!

13. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

This might be a silly idea but I cannot imagine being unable to get in and out of the bath. The showers at the local swimming pool might be an easy way to shower/wash your hair if you really cannot cope with bending over the bathroom sink and doing the job there.
    You can rinse your hair with a plastic cup or jug over the bathroom sink or bath and it really is an easy way to wash your hair and you can rinse it better than in a shower if you get the hang of it.
    Or a bath mat can prevent slipping if you really feel unsteady. Or even a heavy towel if you are desperate.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Come to my house, Nelly and I will demonstrate the impossibility of it. I had my knee replaced earlier in the month and it's as much as I can to to drag myself to the loo on my crutches. I sit on the raised loo seat and do a strip wash every morning. It takes ages! I have just managed to wash my hair in honour of the 25th.

15. I mangled my fingers in the lawnmower in September (did sting a lot - well actually it hurt like f***) and after the operation to fix the broken bones and the mangled pads I lived on paracetamol, ibuprofen and codeine phosphate for a month or so. Trying to get undressed, showered, dried and then dressed again with a big plastic bag over my mangled hand was a challenge I don't particularly want to repeat thank you very much.

So commiserations and lots of sympathy to the OP.

16. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Ah, no wonder you're not congaing this Christmas. Look after yourself Nutella and also OP, merry Christmas.

17. inky

inky Lead commenter

Embarrassing post coming up - not that I give a hoot!
    Does your shower have a portable head? When I've not been able to get into the shower [which is in the bath] I use the shower head as a sort of flexi-bidet. In other words, I squat over the side of the bath and wash my lady bits separately. I wash my feet in a bowl of hot water filled from the bath and my armpits in the sink. It'll be the armpit on the broken side that causes a problem but I'm sure your daughter could help you there. The less interesting bits can wait and benefit from being left alone for a few days.
    You have my heartfelt sympathy. All the best,
    inky

18. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

And a merry Christmas to you too!

19. I am going to try the shower head over the bath for my hair, sink and sponge for the rest. Probably nottake a long time, but I would be no use in the kitchen. Will supervise from the sofa. Glad that my daughter is over here from Spain. Oldest son waste of time in the kitchen unless it involves a microwave. youngest son good for all odds and sods, peeling, roasting washing up etc.
    Taking all these pain killers make me sleepy and spent most of today asleep which is good as I have not slept since Tue night.
    Seasons greetings to all that have replied especially to those that are suffering or have relatives who are. Poppy

20. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Hope you have a good Christmas in spite of all your problems. I've just managed some scrambled egg and smoked salmon, but the toast deeated me. I couldn't open my mouth or chew enough without getting shocks of pain. I hate TN it's a bu66er.