1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pain

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Bethannie, Mar 28, 2011.

1. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

Oh, you have my sympathy!
    When I had my post-op dental pain (including dry-socket...boy, is that ever painful!....and why does it last so long? ...weeks!) the very early mornings were the worst!
    I don't know if it is because during the day you can distract yourself from the pain? In bed all you can do is lie there and focus on the agony. Plus of course you are not just 'in pain', you are 'exhausted and in pain'.

2. It sounds like some sort of neuralgia, Lapin, which is a very difficult pain to deal with.
    Hope you get somewhere with it today.

3. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

More acupuncture, but o/h said to ask GP for a referral as we have private medical insurance through the company he works for.

4. You don't have osteoarthritis, do you?
    Most of the females in my family suffer from this and jaw pain is one of the symptoms.
    We also all are all prone to polyarthritis - tis all fun and games being a woman in my family!
    Do you grind your teeth at night, do you know?

5. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Yes I do, I've had it for about 20 years, dunno about grinding teeth at night.

6. Then that could be what causes the pain. You have my sympathy - it is a horrible thing to have. On some days I feel like I am about 80!
    I also grind my teeth at night - the pain is not always in my jaw, it is normally in my shoulders and neck.

7. I know you do bellydance, lapin, as I do (nowadays on and off) - but have you tried pilates?
    This has really helped me with all the aches and pains, especially in my back and feet (no idea how it has helped my feet, I presume because you train your core muscles and take the pressure thus off your feet).
    My feet cause me the most problems, second to my back and my hands.
    I hate athritis, I really do.

8. I also chew my gum in my sleep - I really should not sleep!

9. Lapin, it could be TMJ which is generally felt in jaw in front of ears. Can be extremely painful andcause you tonot be able to eat properly, oropen jaw. Can feel like ear ache.
    For dry socket, do they give you clove oil in UK? I heard that is meant to work best.

10. Linking in to the osteoarthritis and what gpporgie just said about TMJ
    http://www.arthritis-treatment-and-relief.com/jaw-arthritis.html

My immediate thought, lapin, was the osteoarthritis, as my Mum really suffere with her jaw with that.
    I only have it now and then.
    I really would recommend pilates, you know. It works wonders and I find it doesn't make me aggressive, as yoga does!

11. Don't know about the UK, but it is what they give you in Germany.

12. landaise

landaise Occasional commenter

Or hold whisky in it ( my Scottish grandad's remedy !)

13. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Tried it once and couldn't move for a week after!!
    Will phone GP in phone in time and ask to be referred!!

14. Then your teacher was no good!

15. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Spoke to GP, again, he's referring me to a Neurologist.

16. Your dentist can tell if you grind your teeth at night. Mine knew straight away. I had no idea.

17. dusty67

dusty67 New commenter

I had terrible pain in my teeth and jaw. Was much worse at night!

Went to dentist and begged her to pull out my teeth, but she said there was nothing wrong with them. the problem was with my sinus. An infection was causing inflammation that pressed on the nerves in my teeth and jaw. Now, when ever I'm even a bit bunged up i get teeth and jaw pain