1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

pain in the neck

Discussion in 'Personal' started by chocolatelover, Feb 18, 2011.

1. chocolatelover

chocolatelover New commenter

I have had an awful pain in my neck since Monday. I went or a massage tonight and the girl tries to creak my neck out and do something to the vertebrates in my back but it hasn't worked! I am still in a lot of pain!
    What can I do to ease it and fix it?
    Please help me!
    Thanks in advance.

2. chocolatelover

I have had an awful pain in my neck since Monday. I went or a massage tonight and the girl tries to creak my neck out and do something to the vertebrates in my back but it hasn't worked! I am still in a lot of pain!
    What can I do to ease it and fix it?
    Please help me!
    Thanks in advance.

3. She shouldn't be creaking your neck if you went for a massage!
    Nor doing anything with the vertebrates in your back.
    Get yourself to the doctor.
    In the meantime, you can try to alleviate the pain with warmth - a bath, or a hot water bottle or a cherry stone cushion.
    Wear a scarf.
    And DON'T ever allow a masseur to do that again!
    Try to keep your shoulders moving, even if it hurts a bit.
    And go to a DOCTOR!

4. Fierygirl

Fierygirl New commenter

A paracetomol tablet and an ibuprofen tablet. Together they seem to work well on muscular pain.

Mine often goes like that and I find that if I can get some relief from the pain the muscles stop spasming and it doesn't come back...for a few weeks anyway.

5. joli2

joli2 New commenter

I've never found doctors much good for neck/back probems. Go to a chiropracter/osteopath

6. Fierygirl

Fierygirl New commenter

Oh yeah, and if it is still there go to the docs.

7. chocolatelover

She has given me the number for a physiotherapist, will hopefully get an appointment this week while I'm off!
    What is a cherry stone cushion? Has it just been a long term and I'm missing something obvious or I am really stupid?

8. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Argh! You are me in a parallel universe, chocolatelover - I woke up with an agonising pain in the neck (LHS) on Monday morning. It's eased off a bit, but it's still there.
    Just hoping it goes away of its own accord.

9. I, like you and everyone else so far, doesn't know why you've done it in: neck? ligament? arthritis?
    If you've exercised recently then you might have overdone it or might just be unfit and suffering. In future give it a weeek befor eyou cough up.

10. It is a wee cushion filled with cherry stones - you can pop it in the oven or microwave to warm up and then put it on your neck.
    You can also buy versions with grains or lavender in.
    I think Boots sell them. Some chemists do too. And some supermarkets even (if they have those "wellness" aisles).

11. chocolatelover

I know what you mean now! I call it a beanie.
    My Grandma makes them with pearl barley inside. She sometimes puts lavender in or I put lavander drops on.
    I'm not sure how I did it, I think it may be a trapped nerve.
    Thanks for advice, I will be going to doc on Monday if its still sore and will de be ringing a chiropractor.

12. I went to a chiropracter a few years ago as I had a constantly hurting/achey neck and back, but it was rubbish. The best thing to come out of it was him telling me to change from 2 pillows to 1 which did help, but his cracking really did nothing.

13. chocolatelover

out of curiosity ... which pillow helped?
    That was the first thing teachers at school said.

14. It wasnt the type of pillow as such, just that I used to sleep with 2 and swapping to 1 really did help my neck.

15. chocolatelover

I have have a few pillows in the bed but only use 1 to sleep with, if that makes sense. I have been trying different ones this week to see if it helps. but no change! :(

16. Henriettawasp

Henriettawasp New commenter

Pesky critters [​IMG]

17. Henriettawasp

Henriettawasp New commenter

Or cocodamol & ibuprofen. Works a treat - but only in the short term as the former can be addictive.

18. chocolatelover

Opps! It has been a long half term, made even longer by the problem this week and a couple of parents complaining about me to the new head since xmas! :(

19. Try a memory foam pillow.

20. One fairly easy thing to do for painful neck and shoulder thingies. Find something sturdy you can stand beside and hold onto with one hand. Grasp firmly, then relax your shoulders and lean away gradually. (Relax! she says, but you know what I mean.) You'll feel various things easing or cramping or whatever. Try it from a few different angles - arm fully extended sideways, arm straight out in front, everything in between.
    Hold the position just short of real pain - for 30 seconds or more. Do the same on the other side. Repeat a few times. Try leaning your head away from the outstretched arm. But do this very slowly and gently, you don't know what's in there!
    If it's 'just' a muscle or a stiff joint it will ease off a little - but I find that easing a long-tight muscle sometimes sets off the gigantic headache that was waiting in the wings.
    It's also great for stretching / releasing the nerves from the spine through the shoulder and down the arm, which is the main reason I have to do this.