1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Pain in the Arches

Discussion in 'Personal' started by oldsomeman, Feb 22, 2016.

  1. oldsomeman

    oldsomeman Star commenter

    Suffering from a pain in the arches .Police man's heel as they call it but I wounder if you can help.
    Besides exercises for the foot and/or rest it seems you can either place supportive inserts in your shoes or get shoes that help your feet to be aligned more correctly.
    Online there are several firms claiming their shoes do this such as Merrell, Ecco and Padders. from experience buying online can be hit and miss with shoes, no two pairs of shoes are the same...although one would think they would be.
    Has any one bought shoes like this to help this condition.or failing that would I need to go to a specialist shop and be measured and have a pair especially made?
    i live in London so I can travel there but i wonder if any of you have heard/can recommend a shop that might help.

    Also as i want to do walking some advice please. I have a pair of fell boots but found that now,due to my fallen arches thingy, the dont seem to support my feet. I need new walking boots and although I can get cheap ones my feet are something I will spend money on.I need 2 sorts .One for walking over flat land and roads. The other over coastal type paths which require a more rigid sole.....as i found out to my pain last year. Amazing how much the rock projections hurt! I might add that as I suffer from swollen ankle occasionally high boots can be difficult to put on.
    So any advice on this would be welcome as well...god combined to knees wearing out I am becoming a wreck.
  2. Mangleworzle

    Mangleworzle Star commenter

    No advice about the condition.

    However, I have only bought Merrell casual trainer-like shoes (and other Merrell shoes too) for the last ten years or so, they are good quality but best of all, they are always the same size whatever the model, so I buy them if I see them in sale or on offer knowing they will fit. I bought the first pair in a shop to make sure they fitted.
  3. grumpydogwoman

    grumpydogwoman Star commenter

  4. foxtail3

    foxtail3 Star commenter

    Is it plantar fasciitis? I found some inserts from Boots were fine with ordinary shoes, but have no idea what more specialist footwear would be suitable.
  5. Dragonlady30

    Dragonlady30 Star commenter

    My chiropodist recommended inserts for my shoes because I have wonky feet. The ones he gave me were 'off the peg', but he then altered the shape to suit my foot problems. Last year I went to Rome and wore the shoes with the inserts all day, every day and we covered some miles!! I had no problems at all, so I would suggest seeing an expert who will ensure any inserts are created for you.
    GLsghost likes this.
  6. cissy3

    cissy3 Star commenter

    I know this will seem like an odd suggestion, but have you tried your GP who can then refer you to a chiropodist?

    (Ah, I've just seen Dragonlady's post. Beaten to it!)

    I went to the docs thinking I had gout :D
    turned out to be an awkwardly placed in-growing corn type thing.
    But she was brilliant at moulding an insert which really helped, and at no cost.
  7. oldsomeman

    oldsomeman Star commenter

    l have to go back to the chiropodist i use who is suppling me with exercises, I didnt realise he can mould inserts.I thought i need to go to an expert shop for that. Thanks anyway.
    Thanks Mangleworzle for the recommendation.... now got to find a shop that stocks them in London
  8. cassandramark2

    cassandramark2 Lead commenter

    The only thing that worked for me was a consultation and subsequent insoles from Footsolutions. I haven't had any pain now for 3 years having only worn the insoles for a few months.

    They have a branch in my west country city but I've just checked and there's also one in Richmond.


    Good luck. It's a truly agonising condition.
  9. RedQuilt

    RedQuilt Star commenter

    My ex had this and had cortisone steroid injections in his foot in addition to the insoles and now doesn't have much of a problem. It sounds as though he's been lucky.

    @oldsomeman Has your doc suggested the injections?
  10. oldsomeman

    oldsomeman Star commenter

    thank you i have booked an appointment with them.
  11. oldsomeman

    oldsomeman Star commenter

    My doc has never suggested this.i did once have a brief course of injections in the knee for cartilage problems.although the consultant who saw me last then stopped it and said i was to come back when i couldnt walk and they would give me a new knee!....such was his concern. I suppose these knees are playing up again and will till i can lose a bit of weight.

    edited.i am really sorry this should have been to red quilt.apologies
  12. Lascarina

    Lascarina Star commenter

    I had this problem, olds. Did you know that you can get a GP referral for 12 weeks' free attendance at Weightwatchers or Slimming World groups? I did this and went to S W and lost more than 2 stone in the 12 weeks. It might help to alleviate your pain.
    ValentinoRossi and GLsghost like this.
  13. GLsghost

    GLsghost Star commenter

    I had this problem too.

    I can really recommend Melanie Healey at http://tarsusltd.co.uk/

    She works as a podiatrist with the special forces and with atheletes. She's brilliant!
  14. GLsghost

    GLsghost Star commenter

    Don't buy them off the peg without a proper diagnosis, @oldsomeman . Get a proper diagnosis and fitting. Makes all the difference.
  15. lexus300

    lexus300 Star commenter

    Try Crocs (may not be correct spelling) .
  16. lanokia

    lanokia Star commenter

    I had big problems with my feet, especially with my left one, eventually having to have minor surgery ... I now have in-soles, just off the peg ones from Pavers but they work a treat and I don't get that pain in my arch that I used to.

    I shall be buying some more soon because I have a Lake District hill climbing trip planned and will need some for my boots.
  17. Duke of York

    Duke of York Star commenter

    My sister made orthotic insoles for a time. The company she worked for was owned by her daughter and son in law and they did really well out of it until a divorce came along to sod things up and the business closed.

    There's a lot more in it than you might imagine. The company had patients suffering from all manner of ailments referred to them. Often back and neck pains which were actually being caused through poor posture as a consequence of their feet not functioning correctly..

    Custom made insoles not only resolve foot pain, but they correct the posture and make you feel better all round.
  18. Flere-Imsaho

    Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

    I will second the Merrell recommendation. I have walking boots and just some kickabout trainers and they are the most comfortable, supportive shoes I have ever worn. You can usually get some bargains in the sales if you're not too worried about what they look like.
  19. oldsomeman

    oldsomeman Star commenter

    Thanks every one
    i have an appointment on Wednesday with a foot clinic so i will see what they say.I am appreciative of your help and advice.......
    I need walking books...problem I am not sure , as my first post, which ones to get.Id still like to do some of the coastal paths etc if i can sort feet out at least.Knees i can just about cope with
  20. T34

    T34 Lead commenter

    I can't imagine that supportive inserts in shoes can any good. The arch is not meant to be weight bearing - that's only for the heel (and the ball of the foot when moving). Some trainers have built-up arches which give me severe pain. Not an advantage at all. The foot is a support, it's not meant to be supported. It is best when left as nature intended..
    As for foot alignment, everyone has their own preferred alignment ranging from 10 to 2 (or even a quarter to three!) to the toes pointing in (pigeon toed). You no doubt know yours by now.
    I'd try to just resting, going shoeless where possible, losing weight and gently increasing exercise until the condition cures itself.

Share This Page