1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pain in leg

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by cheesypop, Jul 30, 2018.

1. cheesypop

cheesypop Senior commenter

hi
    I wonder if anyone can help.
    I have an almost constant pain running down the outer side of my right leg. It starts about halfway down my thigh. It doesn’t seem to matter how much or how little activity I do, the pain is the same. It started a number of months ago but it wasn’t as constant then.
    Does anyone have any ideas about what it could be?
    TIA

2. lrw22

lrw22 Established commenter

I don't know but probably best checked with GP ☺

ATfan likes this.
  3. cheesypop

Thanks. I probably should but I’ve felt silly thinking about wasting their time with ‘I’ve got a pain in my leg’.
    Kind of been ignoring it (put ibruprofen gel on or taken painkillers when it has stopped me sleeping) but went to the cinema today and it was uncomfortable. Not looking forward to my 4 and a half hour flight on Thursday if that was anything to go by!

4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Several things spring to mind, but you should definitely have it checked out by a GP.

5. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

You have a flight on Thursday? Sort it. Now.

EmanuelShadrack and HelenREMfan like this.
  6. cheesypop

Unfortunately unless I actually cut off my own leg and went into the doctors surgery with it, there is no chance of an appointment within that timeframe! (Even if I did the above, the receptionist would probably have a good go at self diagnosis and send me away to take paracetamol rather then let me see that most hallowed of beings ..... the doctor)

I have an appointment for the end of the month. Thanks for everyone’s replies. I was hoping someone could suggest what it could be, but having googled it I can see why no one has - if I believed Dr Google I’m surprised I’m still alive.

7. strawbs

strawbs Established commenter

possibly sciatica/piriformis related?

frangipani123 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  8. grumpydogwoman

Tell them it's an emergency!

You know the risks of flying on circulatory disorders. If that's what it is. And you don't know what it is.

9. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

Do do be careful...... I ended up with 2 blood clots on my lungs - springing not from the swelling above my left knee which I thought was a banged varicose vein..... but a dvd in my right leg which hadnt given any symptoms. The total breathlessness was a clue that all wasnt well and I too could not get a gp appointment on the Monday after the Friday's experience of being unable to walk and breathe ! Was told to go to A & E/minor injuries at local hosp. They took me in straightaway.... triaged t0 DR and off in ambulance to next town hosp !!

You do need it checking out. As a precaution also I would take at least half an aspirin a day til you do see a dr.

It has doubled my travel insurance (for a cruise - not flying)

10. frangipani123

frangipani123 Lead commenter

Sciatica came to my mind, but none of us know. You need to go to a Walk-In Centre or failing that, A&E. I say that because you are going on a relatively long flight. A fit and active relative of mine died from DVT on a flight, so it's not worth taking the risk.

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  11. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

You need to see your GP - and also check your travel insurance policy.

12. grumpydogwoman

Very good point there. Travelling with a known ailment? If it was a DVT in the making? Could invalidate your insurance. Get it seen!

EmanuelShadrack and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  13. cheesypop

If I’m honest (and preparing for completely justified annihilation after admitting this) that’s one reason I’ve not gone to the GP yet. Because it’s not a known condition yet, not til I tell a doctor. Currently I’m the only one who knows.

14. Lara mfl 05

Yes but supposing it is serious. Could be a DVT and then flying could actually be life-threatening..:eek: Are you really wanting to take that risk and ending up with no holiday, but in hospital in a foreign country with huge bills. Some countries ask to be paid for up front and reclaimed later from your health insurance, as a colleague found one year when out in Turkey. Husband had a heart attack ,the stress caused her own stroke and she seriously thought she might have to sell her house. :eek:

15. grumpydogwoman

OK.

It's either something minor and you can travel and your insurance won't be affected.

Or it might be more serious. And the flight could exacerbate it.

You're running a big risk. You're gambling with it being minor. Most things are. But some aren't.

EmanuelShadrack and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  16. Lara mfl 05

Well put gdw! :)

EmanuelShadrack likes this.
  17. EmanuelShadrack

EmanuelShadrack Star commenter

Precisely.

You're "managing your risk", as the phrase goes. You've weighed up the pros and cons, and decided to take that chance. It's entirely your decision, and that's absolutely fine. Many people put off going to see doctors for conditions that turn out to be serious, and likewise, many go to the doctor early on, to find out that it's nothing to worry about.

I hope it does indeed turn out to be minor, when you eventually find out (assuming you do). Do let us all know.