1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pain in armpit (female)

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by ilando, Jan 30, 2012.

1. Hi everyone,
    I've had a dull ache in my left armpit for about a week now.It has got worse on a couple of occasions and become very painful. The pain has gone though after I've slept. I've never had it before and I haven't hurt my shoulder or arm.

Would you go to your doctor or would you wait a bit longer? I've learnt from bitter experience not to google medical conditions as they tend to scare you half to death.

Thanks for reading.

2. Is it tender to touch? Might be a gland which is swollen. I have extra breast tissue under my arm which used to feel terribly sore just before a period. If it is related to your cycle then wait until you have your period and see if it goes. I am a 'wait and see' person and unless I was in agony or could feel a lump I would give it a couple of weeks or so and then go to the doctor.

3. Have you had a chest infection recently? Sounds very much like gland pain. If it doesn't settle, I'd definitely let the doc have a look.

4. Mrs_Frog

Mrs_Frog New commenter

Do you carry a heavy bag either on your left shoulder or hooked on your left arm?
    I have had a few issues that I was concerned with around breast/shoulder area and it turned out to be caused by carrying heavy bag in the crook of my arm (going from the car to the classroom and back again, funnily enough) My sister also has had shoulder/arm trouble, turned out that was from her handbag too. (She ended up having a few sessions of physio as a result)
    I'd go get it checked out though, just to put your mind at rest, and if it does turn out to be gland pain/shoulder injury, you will be able to get the correct advice about what to do next.
    Good luck
    B x

5. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

What have you got to lose by getting it checked out?
    Go and see your GP, if it's nothing they will tell you and if it is something they will treat it.
    No point worrying unneccesarily