1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pain in abdoman? medical

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by cyberjelly, Jan 22, 2012.

1. cyberjelly

cyberjelly New commenter

[​IMG]This is bit of a bit medical issue but I'm unsure what it is and should I be worried?

I have now started to wear a belt as my jeans are too big, its not a large buckle but for most of the afternoon I have not had it done up (not been out so no chance of them falling down). This is because my stomach hurts around my belly button.
    Then when I went in shower washing over that area can feel a lump above where my belly button is, it feel sore to the touch as well. Also sitting, without sitting bolt upright hurrts.[​IMG]

Could this be something more than just the belt? My stomach also seems to be sticking out quite a bit.

Any help?
    Was thinking may call into the walk in centre tomorrow evening.

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Last time I saw a lump just above the belly button was on my 4 month old son and they said it was a hernia. Don't know if it's the same with adults, but definietly get it checked out.

3. Lalad

Lalad Lead commenter

Lara is spot on. About 15 years ago I had exactly the symptoms you describe - stomach hurting around the belly button, sore to the touch and a lump above where the belly button was - and It turned out to be an umbilical hernia. It's quite common in women who have had children or if you have been lifting something heavy, and means that an internal part of the body is pushing through a weakness in the muscle or surrounding tissue wall. The good news is that it is easily treatable, although usually by surgery.
    Definitely get it checked out.

4. cyberjelly

cyberjelly New commenter

Thanks for all you replies.

However, when the nurse examined me and pushed on my belly, she was greated by a nice ball of pus, so swab taken and waiting for results to find out what antibiotics to have.

Feeling a bit better now she got a large amount of the horrible stuff out, and I spent most of the time apologising as it smelled horrible. She said it could be from an old stitch where I had my op (although that was 5 years ago). But glad its not so sore now.

Thanks again.