1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Paid, working holiday in Scotland, anyone?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by sodalime, Dec 22, 2018.

1. sodalime

sodalime Star commenter

I need to go for an operation at some point in 2019. I would be in hospital for around 6 days. I need someone to come and live in my house (3 bed detached bungalow with large garden and conservatory) and look after my 2 outdoor cats (furry boys aged 12.5 years). Now, that all probably sounds pretty good, but the rub is this: one of my cats has congestive heart failure and needs to take medication twice a day. The meds are administered crunched up and dissolved in his food. There is a technique to this which is easily learnt. I can't put him in a cattery as I know from experience that he refuses to eat anything whilst in a cattery. I also have no one currently in my life who would gain the trust of cat (if he doesn't trust you and like you he won't accept food from you) AND cope with the situation (much patience and calmness required). I also can't put him in with the local vets as they are a day time vets and have no facilities for over-nighting animals.

The other thing is that my furry boys often don't get along that well and regularly square off against each other. They are brothers. Due to the meds that sick cat is on, he is like a hemophiliac and if he gets cut/scratched by other cat he doesn't stop bleeding within a normal time frame. The most recent example of this was in September when he got swiped by other cat on the ear and bled for 14 hours. In a situation like that there is very little that can be done apart from hoping he will fall asleep and therefore stay still long enough for a clot to form.

I can usually hear them building up to a fight (growling and wailing at each other) and can split them up before it erupts into scratching etc.

So you need to be a cat lover, have experience of cats, and be able to gain their trust quickly. You need to have good hearing and be quite quiet yourself (if you are used to telly blaring, radio on , constant back ground noise etc, then this would be no good as you won't hear them building up to a fight and be able to prevent it from happening). Splitting them up is easy, just click/snap your fingers repeatedly and make a low, growling noise. I need a level headed person (s), who is quick thinking and has an even temperament and relaxed manner. The cats are used to living in a peaceful house. I am a very quiet person. You would need to adapt to their existing routine as it's a set routine that ensures meds get eaten.

I would pay all your travel expenses within the UK and £100 cash a day for each day you were here (and stock the kitchen up beforehand), but i wouldn't pay twice that for a couple. If you were driving here there is off street parking, if you were flying the airport is only 10 miles away and I would pick you up . . . but you'd need to get a taxi back to the airport as once I am out of hospital I won't be able to drive. There are train links too, but the nearest train station is 7 miles away.

The house is located on the edge of a small village and has beautiful open aspects and views. It's very peaceful round here. There are no shops in the village, but there are two other, larger villages close by (that you can walk to along a lovely cycle-path), and there are larger urban centres with all the shops you could wish for just 7 miles away.

I am unable, just now, to give possible dates for when I'd be in hospital, but apparently with the NHS if the date you are given for surgery doesn't suit, you can rearrange in the hope for a more suitable date.

If you think you might be interested and fit the bill, but want to know more, please PM me.

2. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

That sounds a great opportunity for someone, sodalime! Not me, unfortunately, because I'd be no good wirh the cats, and I'm not quiet!

The person(s) would have to be flexible - just in case the operation were cancelled on the day! It happens.

Have you tried asking locally?

You could also look on a House Sitters or Pet Sitters website.

Good Luck!

nizebaby and sodalime like this.
  3. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

I would, but male cats hate me.

sodalime likes this.
  4. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Star commenter

Aw - how tempting, but I've got two cats anyway! Hope you find someone suitable.

sodalime likes this.
  5. sodalime

sodalime Star commenter

Asking who locally?
    I've looked into all the pet sitting/house and pet sitting web sites and there's only one that might be suitable . . .they need dates an advance as they are geared up for dealing with people going on holiday rather than surgery on the NHS . . i'd prefer to give the money to a TESer than an agency . . . if there's no takers on here I'll have to look at other options.

Thanks for all the good luck wishes :)

6. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

This must be a worry for you so it does need to be sorted preferably asap. Might there be any fairly active OAPs locally who could be relied upon to cope? Alternatively has anyone got an animal loving younger relative who otherwise might not get to afford a holiday?
    I do think posting on here was a good idea though and I do hope it turns up some possibilities....
    Don't be wary of asking for help/support on here as there are many caring people here. I hope your medical situation works out well. Take care....

sabrinakat and sodalime like this.
  7. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Is there perhaps a trainee vet or vet nurse, or someone hobis thinking of that profession? Could you put the word around at veterinary practices locally?

8. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I'd jump at the chance but I need to be here to look after my daughter who's still waiting for her operation. There must be some retired person on here who can do it.

sodalime likes this.
  9. sodalime

sodalime Star commenter

Thanks for your concern, Helen . . I'm lucky in that it's not a life threatening condition and I have lived with it for many years now . . .it's just that it is holding me back from moving on with my life and now that I'm single it's imperative that i do move on with my life or I'll remain single, and i don't want that.

I don't really know that many people, everyone keeps themselves to themselves, including me . . .but the folk i do know are not in a position to help . . . allergic to cats, have dogs, are too old to be anything other than a potential liability, have other responsibilities, for example grand children . . . or live so close they would be spending most of the time back at their own homes . . . not what i want!

Not anyone i know, no. I'll maybe have to think of putting up an advert somewhere, but afaik there are no local newsagents who have an 'advert window . . potentially i could advertise in the local monthly magazine . . .sounds weird to say, but as far as strangers go I'd trust someone from TES more readily than any other walk of life

That's possible, yes.

And of course, if nothing comes of this thread, then these are the other options I will then be exploring.

10. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

Best of luck, sodalime. I'm sure you'll find someone.

Could you clarify one point for possible takers on here. How do you make sure the cats don't fight when you're out?

monicabilongame and sodalime like this.
  11. MustaphaMondeo

MustaphaMondeo Occasional commenter

cats like me

sodalime likes this.
  12. sodalime

sodalime Star commenter

I can't. And neither will the person looking after them in my absence. There's absolutely nothing anyone can do about the cats fighting unless you are close enough to them to hear them starting up.

Over the years i think i have developed special auditory powers . . .there's a specific frequency of bass-heavy growling that I can often hear from a distance :)

13. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

14. sodalime

sodalime Star commenter

I'll look into that, thank you :)

15. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Some friends of mine have done house sitting all over the world. Everyone is vetted. Something similar is out there for pet sitting.

You need to protect yourself and your property. I'd go down that route, rather than advertise on here, tbh.

les25paul, nizebaby and sodalime like this.
  16. sodalime

sodalime Star commenter

Ah, you need to give dates for when you are on 'holiday', and even if i could give dates I doubt the unpaid sitters would want to take on a complicated situation like mine.

17. moonpenny

moonpenny Occasional commenter

Hi soda and lime

I don’t know how far you are from Edinburgh or whether any of the people here would travel to you

https://uk.catinaflat.com/city/edinburgh#ath

When we went on holiday last year, we used a cat sitter who dropped in twice a day for 15 minutes each time - cost £11 each visit,

Best wishes for the op and for a good recovery.

18. sodalime

sodalime Star commenter

I know what you mean. I'll maybe try and contact some of these services (if they have a contact number) and discuss the situation - see what they say.

19. Ezzie

Ezzie Occasional commenter

What part of Scotland are you?

sodalime likes this.
  20. sodalime

sodalime Star commenter

Ah, that actually looks quite promising, thank you :) First person's profile i looked up does travel, lives more locally to me and has experience of medication etc . . . there seems to be a great deal of flexibility with regards to arranging things directly with the sitters themselves.

HelenREMfan, nizebaby and moonpenny like this.