1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Paid too much?!!

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by AFHolland, Jan 12, 2012.

1. Never thought I'd say this but think I might be getting overpaid!!!
    I've been a part time teacher since my NQT year starting september 07 & am now full time as of January at the same school.
    My belief was we went up a point on the MPS per year but I recieved a letter from the authority saying I would be on point 6, even though I've not been teaching 6 years.
    My question is can this be right? Think its going to be too good to be true though.
    Should I inform the school in case they claim money back at a later date, or should I keep quiet and hope no one notices :)?
    Thanks for any advice offered!

2. modgepodge

modgepodge Established commenter

You can be moved up more than 1 point per year, but it's unusual. Tbh I'd probably raise it incaseit was accidental and you are required to pay it back. Or transfer the excess in to another account for a while to make sure if you do have to pay it back you have it!!

3. Thanks for the advice, I agree Im better erring on the side of caution & mentioning it.

4. ICTGuy2

ICTGuy2 New commenter

What did you do before you started teaching? You don't have to start on point 1, since previous related employment can be considered.
    Has there been a significant jump since last year or has your salary been going up progressively year on year? If it's the latter, then you probably didn't start on point 1.

The employer (or chair of governors) should write to you every year regarding your pay point.

5. I once found myself bumped one pay point up. I decided to presume they thought i was worth it rather than made an admin error. It was never corrected!

6. 576

576 Established commenter