1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Paid over summer holidays?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by lucyjo1991, Mar 25, 2016.

1. lucyjo1991

lucyjo1991 New commenter

Hi there,
    I'm moving into a job outside of teaching on 2nd August. Will I get paid over the summer holidays for my teaching job?
    Also, who should I inform of my resignation first - head of department or headteacher? I know it should be done through a letter but should I speak to the head face to face as well?
    Many thanks.

2. wanet

wanet Star commenter

Normally paid until the end of august, but your contract may say different. Make sure that you state your last day of teaching and the end of august as your resignation date. @TheoGriff has a template for it on here. Probably good to speak to both, but not essential. Would tend not to mention the date that you start your new job.

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  3. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Agree with wanet.

Resign from 31 August - always to HT first (they don't like it if someone else tells them 'Oh, I hear old XXX is leaving'...). Don't say when you start your new job.

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I am currently on a bus but will post the link to the letter adap.

Best wishes

ilovepoppies likes this.
  5. lucyjo1991

lucyjo1991 New commenter

Thanks very much for your replies. Would the worry with telling them the date I'm starting be that they'd try and persuade me to resign from the end of July?

6. wanet

wanet Star commenter

That was why I suggested not doing so, but they don't need to know.

lucyjo1991 likes this.
  7. FrankWolley

It's none of their business, I'd say. Why complicate matters?

lucyjo1991 likes this.
  8. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Ask to see HT and hand letter to HT when you go in.

Two birds.

You have until 31st May to resign and I really wouldn't do so much earlier than that.

lucyjo1991 likes this.
  9. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

10. lucyjo1991

lucyjo1991 New commenter

I was going to hand in my notice after the Easter break to give them more time to find a replacement. I have a written offer of employment from the company I'm going to work for. Do you think it could make life difficult for me if I hand in my notice much earlier than the resignation deadline? Thanks for the advice guys.

11. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Of course they could make your life difficult! For you and anybody else they wish.

But why on earth would they want to?

Just ask if it would be easier for them if you handed in your notice early to finish on 31 August. They will be appreciative of the offer.

Best wishes

12. install

install Star commenter

I would advise handing in your resignation letter as late as possible- it gives you more time and reduces complications.

13. FrankWolley

Presumably the OP's HT knows that they have been looking for a job, even though it is outside teaching, as they will have had time off for an interview, or they will have provided a reference. So they may ask the OP if they have been successful, and when they will hand in their resignation.

So I would tend to be proactive, and hand in a resignation (to the HT) 'from 31 August' as soon as possible after the Easter Holidays.

wanet likes this.
  14. install

install Star commenter

Lucyjo1991Doyou think it could make life difficult for me if I hand in my notice much earlier than the resignation deadline? Thanks for the advice guys.[/QUOTE]

Yes they might make it more difficult for you.....be proactive and hand it in a day before the final deadline....but be careful of handing it too soon which may have a negative impact

15. wanet

wanet Star commenter

Yes they might make it more difficult for you.....be proactive and hand it in a day before the final deadline..m[/QUOTE]
    Why

install likes this.
  16. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

If the job offer were to be withdrawn (it's a long way until August) or you were asked to work fewer hours or a pay cut were intimated then you might feel you'd been a little rash.

Resigning 31st May does give the school a little less time to recruit but that date exists for a reason. It's considered fair for both parties. Fair. Not necessarily ideal. But fair.

If you are cast-iron guaranteed the job will materialise in exactly the form you expect in August then and in your notice whenever you wish. I'm just more cautious. Nothing to do with the school being potentially difficult. Just the nature of the job market and a bird in the hand etc.

install and Compassman like this.
  17. lucyjo1991

lucyjo1991 New commenter

Ha, this is the thing. The company agreed to interview me in the school holidays and have agreed to not get reference details for my current employer until the end of May!

Thanks for your advice, I agree about the job market thing and I'll wait a bit longer I think.

18. frustum

frustum Star commenter

If your new job offer is subject to references, you do not want them to wait until May to check them out. I'm sure it's very unlikely that there's anything in your references that will affect the job offer, but safer to get the definite offer first. (Imagine if the company's finances change and they decide they might not want you after all...)

But if you've got a concrete and definite job offer, then I don't see a need to delay until the last minute. They cannot insist that you leave earlier than 31st August (assuming normal pay and conditions) - leaving at a date other than the standard ones can only happen if both parties agree. The school will prefer to be able to get on and advertise your post as soon as your new post is definite, and most schools will thank you for resigning before the last possible date, as they will get a far better field of applicants before half-term.

wanet likes this.
  19. install

install Star commenter

I don't agree with the some of the advice on here. You should'n't feel held to account by handing in your notice any earlier than you to.

If in doubt -seek advice from your Union.

20. install

install Star commenter

Why[/QUOTE]
    Because the day of the deadline is too close for comfort. The emloyee comes first here...