1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Paid on MP1 - not sure if I should be on MP2?

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by katharine_m, Apr 15, 2011.

1. Hello all,
    Any advice would be gratefully received! I started a job in Feb 2010 as an NQT it was a maternity cover until Feb 2011. I am now continuing on a jobshre as the lady has come back.
    My question is that I started on MP1 should I have gone up to MP2 in September 2010? Or if not should I have gone up in Feb 2011 after one year of service?

Thanks!

2. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

It depends on how you were employed from February 2010.
    You need to have been employed by an LA in 26 separate calendar weeks of a school year to qualify for pay progression.
    If you were ona fixed-term contract, paid the same amount every month from february until the end of AugusT, you should have met the 26 week qualifier.
    If employed on contract until the last school week in July, you might just have met the 26 week qualifier, depending on how many February calendar weeks you worked in.
    If daily paid on supply, you can't count calendar weeks that were wholly school holidays, so you wouldn't have met the 26 week target if that was your only LA work in that school year.
    Look back to 1st Sept 2009 and count up every calendar week when you ere employed by an LA , even if only for one day per week. Count holiday weeks and weeks on sick leave if you were on an LA contract as you are still employed at those times. Agency work does not count for LA pay progression.
    Update the LA salaries department if you reach at least 26 weeks and they will have to pay you arrears at M2 level back to 1st Sept 2010.

3. Thank you so much for the information. It certainly appears that I ought to qualify for pay progression.
    Another question - I am currently hoping that the school will employ me again in September on another fixed term contract. Do you think that bringing this issue up would potentially affect this as the school has got major money issues.
    If I do pursue it should I talk to my head first or just go ahead and phone the LA?
    Thanks again.

4. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

I'd contact Salaries/HR at the LA and ascertain that you meet the 26 week qualifier. They should then advise whether they will action any arrears directly or whether you should pass the details through the school bursar.
    Every other teacher at the school who is not on top of scale will have progressed up the scale each year. Why should you be the exception if you have worked for long enough? Those who passed Threshold will have gained more than the increase from M1 to M2.

5. thequillguy

thequillguy New commenter

Out of interest, while not as perhaps clear-cut as yourself, I worked for three years as a cover-teacher prior to qualifying (in some tough Hull schools no less!) and didn't qualify for progression up the payscale.

While not a reason for keeping me lower on the payscale necessarily, I was told that the higher you are up the payscale, the more expensive you are to a new employer.

Just as a matter of interest, I wonder if the proposed abolition of the payscale is because Gove wants to pay the state school teacher more? ;-)

6. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

Of course it is!
    If you were employed under Teacher Pay, you should have progessed. Not all cover teacher positions are, though.
    There is some truth in this. Some schools with a tight budget will say they can only employ an NQT for a vacancy and, while they may stretch to M2, they won't take on anyone deemed 'too expensive'. Not the case in all schools, though, and a lot of schools just want the best candidate. Others will pay for experience in some departments to get a balance.

7. Thanks so much for the advice. I am going to phone tomorrow and find out! It is the bursar that is potentially the problem in the school. She has already told me that she has costed me to do the fixed term next September so this may change things.She has an awful lot of sway with the head!
    Really appreciate your advice thank you.