1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Paid leave for exams

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by monsieurmagoo, Jul 23, 2011.

1. I'm an unqualified teacher of physics, currently completing a degree over four years with The Open University. I'm due to sit my third year exams in October and was notified of the exam dates a fortnight ago.
    Last year, my school supported me by giving me three days paid leave and one day unpaid leave for final revision and the exams themselves.
    This year, I was told on the last day of term that the school is only prepared to give me two days of unpaid leave - one for each exam day. The head said this was a reasonable amount of time off to expect.
    I pointed out that on taking the position, I was told that I would be supported through exams although, of course, this isn't in writing. He (the head) told me getting through my degree was my own problem.
    Is it reasonable to expect a UQT completing a wholly self-funded degree to be given such a short amount of time off - the exams will examine approximately 1200 hours of self-learning accumulated throughout the previous nine months?
    I'm seriously beginning to regret making the move into teaching - it's turned into a 70 hour work and study per week nightmare, with no support - and I'm quite honestly thinking about returning to accountancy.

Thanks.

2. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I'm afraid you've no right to paid time off for revision - that you are self-funding your degree is of no relevance to the school, to be honest. You point out that they supported you last year with paid leave, but this year is a different budget.
    Schools are now increasingly strapped for cash and all staff wanting paid leave are going to face such hard decisions by heads.

3. i agree i'm afraid. most teachers paid for their degrees before going into teaching. there is no legal obligation for the school to support you through a degree. i'm impressed they're letting you have two days off paid.

4. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

Perfectly reasonable.