1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Paid for residential?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Purdster, Nov 8, 2018.

1. Purdster

Purdster New commenter

I work part-time and have been asked to go on a residential next year with my KS2 class. It will involve 3 days I do not normally work. I have 2 young children - either I will have to pay extra for their (very expensive!) nursery for those 3 days, or my husband will have to take 3 days unpaid leave. Because of this, I asked if I would get paid for those 3 days. The answer was at first 'if you want to...' (i.e. most people don't ask) then 'we'd rather give you days off in lieu.' If I accepted days off in lieu, I'd still have to pay my children's nursery so will be hundreds of pounds out of pocket. Can I ask what other people have done in similar situations? Thanks!

2. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Don't go!
    There is a difference between someone going who usually works on the days involved and those that don't. If they want you to go, they will need to pay you to do so.

3. meggyd

meggyd Senior commenter

Don't go! Family first. They will find someone else.

4. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Don't go.

No more to be said on the matter.

tall tales, Pomza, Flanks and 6 others like this.
  5. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Senior commenter

Paid or don't go, you are a professional.

Apart from anything else I think you should be paid EXTRA to go on a residential you are after all working extra hours even if it was your working days.

6. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Work out how much it will cost you, add a bit for the inconvenience, and tell the school that's what you require to attend. If they really want YOU to attend, they'll pay...if they just want cheap child care, they won't.

7. Purdster

Purdster New commenter

Thank you - I think you're all right. I would like to go, but will say I need to be paid in full for those 3 days. It seems to me that schools are increasingly expecting teachers to bear the brunt of funding cuts and to do more work for less pay - the more we put up with it, the more it will be taken for granted! Thanks all

8. peapicker

peapicker Star commenter

Easy! You cannot be made to work on days on which you are not contracted. You are quite within your rights to say no. If they want you to go and you are happy to do so, these are three days of additional work, so you MUST be paid!

9. blazer

blazer Star commenter

What he said!

10. Sanz1981

Sanz1981 Occasional commenter

Agreed.

blazer, agathamorse and jlishman2158 like this.
  11. Grandsire

Grandsire Senior commenter

Paid?! PAID?! For extra hours worked? I didn’t even get a “Thank You” from anyone last time I did a residential. That’s why I don’t do them now.

12. cheesypop

cheesypop Occasional commenter

I would actually check that the nursery can even have them first. Otherwise it’s a simple no.

13. MonstieBags

MonstieBags Occasional commenter

Hi if you have not actually volunteered to go then don't go. If you have other commitments, it is not feasible. You should not be out of pocket to do your job - it isn't right or acceptable. Explain that you cannot afford to go because you cannot afford the child care.

14. nical73

nical73 Occasional commenter

I did 20 years of residentials (at weekend) and never saw a penny. Hung up my boots last year as I was tired of waiting for parents to pick kids up on the Sunday and then not getting a thank you. Don't go - you have young children and they come first.

15. SCAW12

SCAW12 Occasional commenter

Say no if you cannot and see what happens. Perhaps they have no-one else to ask?

agathamorse likes this.
  16. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Oh, dear. They might have to cancel it. What a shame. How sad.

How I ever managed to secure a job and bring up kids despite never having been taken as a child on a residential I simply do not KNOW.

Geography field trip. Tick. Useful. Probably.
    Foreign exchange visit to practise your German? Good. But no teacher need accompany you.

Residentials? Luxuries.

agathamorse and Dyathinkhesaurus like this.
  17. Eflmeister

Eflmeister Occasional commenter

As trips are extra-curricular I’d say you can’t be forced to go regardless of whether the residential is on worked days or not.

However, given that extra-curricular activities are optional/voluntary parts of the job I doubt you can claim payment if you agreed to go. We never got paid for trips and also weren’t allowed to take a residential out over a full school week, rather it had to go over a weekend or part of a school holiday. But then if I hadn’t wanted to sign up to those conditions, I simply wouldn’t have run the trips.

agathamorse likes this.
  18. lnevil1

lnevil1 New commenter

I work part time and get time in lieu for extra days I do and like it - it's nice to have some flexibility and choose a 'day off' (rare occurrence in teaching!) to suit me/my family in return. My children's nursery is really flexible though and will change my daughter's day so it doesn't cost me any extra money unless I want it to.

19. PGCE_tutor

PGCE_tutor New commenter

Presumably you won't be the only member of staff there. Will they be being paid? If so, why would you not?

Catgirl1964 and agathamorse like this.
  20. Eflmeister

Eflmeister Occasional commenter

Well if you volunteer to go on a trip that takes place outside your normal working days (like weekends and school holidays as this doesn’t just affect PT staff who don’t work certain days in the week) then I would say you wouldn’t be paid. All the residential trips at my old school involved at least some weekend or school holiday commitment. But then again we always had the choice to go on/run such events. The problem would be if the OP were being directed to go.

agathamorse likes this.