1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Paid for Inset Days?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by topaz, Aug 9, 2007.

1. If you are part-time do you get paid for attending inset on days that you would not usually be working?
    The school where I teach for 0.2 expect me to go in for 2 inset days at the beginning of term.
    Am I entitled to be paid?

2. If you are part-time do you get paid for attending inset on days that you would not usually be working?
    The school where I teach for 0.2 expect me to go in for 2 inset days at the beginning of term.
    Am I entitled to be paid?

3. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

Yes.

They might argue that you should do inset days pro rata, which would be one a year, but they certainly can't expect two unless they're going to pay you.

There is a bit of a conflict between doing inset pro rata and whether or not it falls on the days you work, which can complicate things, but since the second day is neither pro rata nor on your working day, there's not much doubt there.

Oh, and they can't force you to go: you might be working in another job on those days.

4. Thanks for your reply.
    I shall just have to be brave and put in a claim!

5. yep..stand your ground..otherwise you will find you are attending training 'volutarily'(ie for free)...whilst sitting surrounded by your colleagues...who are all getting paid for being there!!...not a great feeling!!(i've been there!!)

6. Our PT wanted to change her days so that she worked the INSET instead of the others - as she covers PPA that seems a good arrangement. She sometimes wants to swap for other reasons so we agreed to be flexible. Trickier if you do a job share. Insist on being paid the extra.

7. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Established commenter

8. Rosiegirl, I think my head might well have the same reaction as yours. There seems to be a course that some aspiring heads go on, 'how to be a complete ****
    when gaining a headship'.
    I'll let you know what happens when I try in September. The question is will I have the nerve to just refuse to go to the Inset days if I don't get paid.I do actually want to go though, otherwise, you know how it is when you're part-time, you miss out on what is happening.
    Good luck with your battle.

9. ROSIEGIRL

In some ways now its not even about the money - I'm just really annoyed with him for taking me for granted to that extent. I know what you mean about missing out on things if I don't go - in the past I've gone to the ones that seem relevant but left early on the more open, less structured ones.

I'd love to know how you get on in September!! Good luck!

10. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

I know what you mean about whether to go if you're not being paid. In that situation, I would do my utmost to get hold of the timetable for the day and attend strictly the bits that are useful to me.

11. mrkeys

mrkeys Occasional commenter

I thought that one aspect of working PT is that you could have another PT job as well. Seems to me that the school is expecting to have everything their own way.

12. ROSIEGIRL

My HT's argument (if you haven't read my previous thread on this) is that .5 means .5 of the 1265 hours. He's calculated that there is a shortfall in my hours and therefore I must do the INSET days to make it up.

I put the point about having another job on the days when I don't work for him and his response was that if I did, I would not be fulfilling my contract to him!

And I don't think that the 1265 hours applies to part-timers http://www.teachernet.gov.uk/_doc/10996/Pay%20%20STPCD%20...

Paragraph 78.1

I'd welcome any interpretations of this paragraph as, surprisingly, the ht's differs from mine!

13. but he is WRONG WRONG WRONG!

if you attend an inset not on a day you normally work you are entitled to be paid at supply rate. end of story. be brave. why not get union support.

14. ROSIEGIRL

I've spoken briefly to the union - this all kicked off at the very end of term - and will follow it up at the start of the new term.

Of course, first day back is an INSET day on one of my non-working days!

15. I know PT staff who have just not attended if it's not their working day. When asked why one said that she never worked on a Monday as it wasn't in her contract.

16. ROSIEGIRL

The union guidance is that PT teachers should be invited to attend all INSET days and paid accordingly, if its not one of their normal working days.

Also found this -

http://www.schoolzone.co.uk/resources/articles/Career/Leg...

including this quote
    'Part-time staff cannot be required to attend inset training outside the times when they are normally required to teach.'

... which seems pretty clear to me!

17. The problem with being part time is that HTs seem to assume that you spend the rest of your week sitting around doing nothing and it is therefore perfectly reasonable that they can expect you to come in on other days should they want you to. I work Tues & Wed, but for the rest of the week my husband works and I look after the children. I am not therefore free to go in as and when. Does HT get that?? Sadly, no.

There are other issues too. For instance, as I have said before, PPA is 'overlooked' for me. I am allowed to go on courses only on the days I don't work, but I am never paid for going. Also, when I was ill at the end of last term the HT kindly suggested I stay at home next day. I had barely time to think 'how kind', before she followed it up with 'you can work another day instead'. Do full time staff have to make up days off sick???? I don't think so. And when it comes down to it, everyone looks vague and mutters about it being 'different' for part time staff. Yet it isn't meant to be! It makes me mad!!

I am going to be p/t in 2 schools this next year, so that will be double trouble. I must be nuts.

18. I shall be working part time next year.

ALL the parents evenings are on days I won't be in school. I shall be paid (0.6 of a day) to attend these evenings (4 ish to 7 ish pm).

The first inset days are on monday and tuesday of the new term. I only work tuesday afternoon. I will attend then and be paid for it.

A number of the other inset days are on days I won't be working. I shall either not attend or I shall be paid to attend (up to the head!). No problems on this.

You are not subject to directed time regulations as a part time teacher, but it is practical advice from my union that whilst it is voluntary, you should (for CPD purposes) attend pro rata the inset arrangements. But NOT if the inset day is on a day you would not normally be in, not without payment.

Directed time other than school based (again pro rata for meetings etc) is YOUR time, and cannot be "directed" by the Headteacher as to what you do and how you do it. And no, the head is playing silly b**gers if he thinks that the 1265 hours apply to you and any shortfall on your part means he can direct you to attend inset etc. It might be interesting to ask if ALL the staff are required to attend in school for the WHOLE 1265 hours (32.5 hours per week on average). It would be unwise for a head to insist on this and very very few (other than the terminally stupid ones) ever do this.

If the answer to the above is no, then he cannot insist on it for you as a part time teacher, for he would not only be using two different yardsticks for two different sets of staff, he would also be breaching the European "part time workers (equal treatment) directive", which this government accepted as law two or three years ago.

If I had been a union rep asked by you to intercede with your head I would be licking my lips at this point and rubbing my hands also at the prospect to "discussing" this with him.

19. tiptoe you have got to stop letting yourself be abused like this - you are in the right - the HT is either incompetent and a fool or just a downright bad manager who cares even less about his staff welfare than he does about their rights. But you have to stand up to this. Get support, challenge every single thing he is doing that is wrong and MAKE YOUR LIFE BETTER FOR GOD'S SAKE. take control.

20. Groan...yes, I know I know. However, as for making my life better? In what way? This HT is well known for removal of dissenters - it's been done before, mainly by making their daily life in school utter hell so they gladly leave. I need the money to pay my mortgage and if I go it has to be to another job, and therefore with a good reference. I can't put my kids in the street and I know from others' experience that you don't win against this HT. Ofsted think the sun shines out of them and so do all the LA people. It's only us mugs that are there behind closed doors working under their regime that know what goes on. The minute another suitable job comes up I will be applying, but part time is thin on the ground and in 2 years I've seen nothing else to go for. I am now even thinking of moving areas to escape.