1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Paid at wrong rate for some time - how can I sort it out?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by weaselwort21, Dec 15, 2018.

1. weaselwort21

weaselwort21 New commenter

I feel quite stupid to have only just realised that, since starting a new school, I've been paid on the main scale and not at the top of the upper pay scale as I was promised verbally at the interview to match my previous salary. We're not given pay slips and I was not able to log onto the online system for ages. It's been more than a year...

All the people who interviewed me have now left the school so I'm not sure who to approach. Our pay is managed by the local authority and there's a personnel person who comes in a few days a week.

What should I do to sort it out? It makes me angry because they have been getting an experienced teacher for a bargain rate but I suppose it's my own fault for not checking carefully.

2. strawbs

strawbs Established commenter

Your last few words do kinda sum it up....

I guess one hope would be to track down the HT who did interview you and see if they could back up your story...sounds like a long shot!

3. weaselwort21

Thanks for confirming my stupidity, Strawbs.

4. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Maybe chat to your Union?

5. weaselwort21

Thanks, FrankWolley. I'll do that.

6. Flanks

Flanks Senior commenter

Given the difference between top of Main and Upper scales, I'm amazed you didn't notice that your bank balalance seemed low... After a year??? You must be 5 figures out and didn't notice???

7. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

You explain the situation to the payroll staff. Copy in the current HT via email to ensure there's a record that you're querying this sum and to allow her/him to investigate (if they can be are-sed).

tall tales likes this.
  8. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

The important thing is what does it say about salary on your offer letter and contract? If they don’t match what you were told then it’s going to be very difficult to argue your case this far down the line, I think.

9. Sundaytrekker

But try what GDW suggests.

10. weaselwort21

Thanks, GDW and Sundaytrekker. The letter was correct. I'll try your helpful suggestions.

11. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

What does your contract say? It must be from the LA, since they pay you. It would be highly unlikely that the pay doesn't match the contract. I can understand not checking every month, but surely you checked the first payment?

12. Sundaytrekker

If the letter was correct then check the contract against it. You might stand a good chance if the letter is clear and they have made admin errors afterwards. Good luck with it.

13. aypi

aypi Senior commenter

Does your authority use the awful myview? If they do I understand not seeing your payslip for a year. Every time I login I have to change the password, which is against govt guidance.

agathamorse likes this.