1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Paella Pans

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by auntmatilda, May 13, 2011.

1. I have never had a paella pan and never made paella but thought I would give it a try.

Does this look like a good pan to buy? Any tips on a good paella also gratefully received!

http://www.procook.co.uk/search.html?searchstr=paella

2. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

I've made paella on countless occasions and never owned a paella pan. I just use a large frying pan. I sometimes cook it on the barbecue if it's a really hot day as it adds to the atmosphere and you can imagine you're in Spain.
    As for tips, don't be stingy with the safron. If you're having seafood in it, the seafood will be cooked through in a few minutes so add it when the rice is cooked. Cook chicken separately and add it at the end.

3. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

As MM says use a large frying pan, however if you really want a paella pan, buy one in Spain, cheaper and the real thing.

4. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

A large saute pan works well too. I've got a paella pan and one probelm is it's so big it won't fit on a normal hob. I can't use it on the induction hob and the Aga is turned off in the summer. So, in reality, I hardly use it at all.
    I do, however, own a gas fired garden paella pan which is fantastic! Great for moules 'al fresco' too!
    I agree with MM, don't scrimp on the saffron.

5. henriette

henriette New commenter

I have a paella pan that my mother bought on holiday in Spain in 1967 when I was 4. I think she used it about 5 times before she died in 1997.
    I do use it, because I have space (8burners!), but find it a pain to wash and dry afterwards if it isn't going to go rusty. When making paella for the 4 of us (which I do about once a month) I tend to use my sauté pan instead as it is easier to clean.

I hadn't thought of using the paella on a bbq - I'll try that this summer.

6. Thanks everyone, I will give it a go in my large pan. Now off to find a good recipe!

7. modelmaker

This thread has reminded me I haven't cooked paella for a while. My daughter is visiting on Sunday so I thought it would be something nice to cook for her, and providing the weather holds out I'll light the barbecue.
    When I was placing my order with Tesco this evening and tried to order paella rice, it turns out they don't list it. I couldn't remember the name of the actual rice type to enter instead so I googled and found this: http://www.finecooking.com/articles/how-to/paella.aspx which might be helpful in selecting an appropriate pan and using it.

8. BelleDuJour

It's not on the bbq Henriette, it's a gas fired paella pan on legs to use in the garden like a bbq. I'll look for a link to one. Mine came from the lovely cookshop in Stockbridge, but there's a shop in Newbury where I've seen one too.
    [​IMG]

9. BelleDuJour

This is the kind of thing
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Paella-Pan-Ring-Gas-Burner/dp/B0023QCJJE

10. modelmaker

I just use a normal bbq. Get to have barbecued chicken in the paella. If it was easy for me to get langoustines and shell-on gambas I'd barbecue these as well.

11. I cook it often - but I just use a large frying pan.

12. modelmaker

Well, my daughter's on her way home now but we had a lovely day and I cooked paella. Unfortunately the weather let us down to risk the barbecue. I tried something a little different with the chicken I thought I'd share.
    Some years ago when I spent a few days working in Malta, my host to me to a village with a number of restaurants that he said only put rabbit on the menu. There were countless number of variations in the way it was cooked so I asked him to make the choice for me. The dish I was served was quite dry but very tasty, albeit quite garlicy. The rabbit pieces had been smothered with herbs and spices then fried.
    A few years later I visited a company in Vienna and was taken to a Turkish restaurant where as a starter I was served chicken wings that had been cooked in a similar way. It was so delicious I wished I'd ordered it again for the main course.
    Anyway, I thought I'd have a go at something similar with the chicken today. I coated the chicken pieces with a liberal mixture of chilli flakes, oregano, herbs de provence, salt and blackpepper then fried them in a little olive oil until they were nicely brown all over. Next I spinkled some finely chopped garlic over them and the juice of a lime then put them in the oven to cook through. It worked rather well and although it wouldn't be the purist's way of cooking the chicken for a paella it added a very nice touch. Next time I cook chicken like this though, I'll be far more generous with the chilli. I had thought I might have over done it when I started but it turned out it could have taken twice the amount I'd used.

13. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Malta is famed for its rabbit dishes, I went to school there for 3 years, Malta still feels like home to me. Saha.

14. BelleDuJour

Ah..the sweet taste of rabbit stew!
    Yummy....got a couple of wild bunnies in the freezer at the mo.

15. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Agree with MM and Belle, don't scrimp on the saffron.
    Don't bother with a paella pan. Occasionally consider getting one, as our largest frying pan atill only makes enough paella for about 4 or 5 so limited to how many guests can have, and paella is ideal for cooking for a large number. Maybe a good idea would be to have as a tapa with a few other dishes in this respect. Also, don't have cupboard big enough for large paella pan.
    Often make a veggie paella, using a Yotam Ottolenghi recipe with fennel bulbs, red and yellow peppers, marinated artichokes, mini plum tomatoes and broad beans that have had the papery skins removed, or peas if I can't be ***** doing this.
    Also, following MM's comment re the type of rice - I've used arborio or carnaroli risotto rice many a time when I've been unable to find calasparra rice, and it's always been perfectly good. the rices aren't identical but close enough for me.

(awake on baby calming duty)

16. landaise

landaise Occasional commenter

I have a paellera and use it every time I make paella. Like MM, we frequently pop the pan onto the barbecue to finish off the cooking.
    The secret to them not going rusty, Henriette, is to oil them lightly after use !
    I too often use arborio if I can't get the Spanish rice: I always use chicken, chorizo, gambas (can get shell on ones easily here, modelmaker !) and mussels. I use the mussel stock as the main cooking liquid. I buy a mix of spices from Spain to put in as I find saffron isn't enough for a good strong flavour which we prefer. I do make a large quantity though, I use 1kg of rice......