1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Packing it in to return to mainscale

Discussion in 'Senior Leadership Team' started by Kittykat74, Nov 9, 2015.

1. Kittykat74

Kittykat74 New commenter

I've recently joined SMT and in the last year have been utterly miserable. I thought I'd feel part of a team, drive things forward, look forward to work. But the complete opposite has happened. I still have large teaching load, (mainly GCSE), whole school responsibilities that completely bore me with little or no strategic leadership in them. I don't feel any comradeship with 90% of the SMT team and therefore feel totally isolated in school.

For the past 12 months a day hasn't gone by where I've not thought about returning to mainscale teaching. I understand it comes with its own pressures and that my planning and marking would increase but its the only part of the job that I still enjoy (well, not so much the marking...)

So my question is: Will I regret it? I know it'll be a one way road and there will be no going back. I'm in the middle of my career with approx 20 years to go. Do I wait it out and risk becoming more depressed or take a plunge and see?

2. Camokidmommy

Camokidmommy Established commenter

Why do you think there would be no going back?
    In a couple or more years you may find that you want to take on this challenge again.

Leadership is not for everyone and this may simply not be your time.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

But you must bear in mind that it is not always easy to step down - there has to be a suitable post available and you have to persuade the school to take you on.

Best wishes

4. jago123

jago123 Established commenter

How long have you been a member of SMT? Have you recently been promoted into it within the last 1-2 years? If so, give it at least another year or so before stepping down to main scale.
    Is it the school that is the problem or is it the role itself? If it's the former, apply for other SLT roles, but do of course follow the golden rule and tell your Headteacher before you submit ANY application. They would not take it lightly if they receive a random reference request for yourself. Talk it through with them before doing anything. They might be able to resolve any issues that have surfaced!

5. jago123

jago123 Established commenter

Also, I will add to my first post that you state you are in the middle of your career with at least 20 years to go, there will be plenty of opportunities over that time to advance in the future if you wish. What you find with many teachers / SLT members, they push so much for progression that they get to the HT role by the time they are 35 and then have 30 years of no progression and in the same role. Take your time!

kimothy39 likes this.
  6. Ilovetravel

Ilovetravel New commenter

I've done exactly this....twice. However it's easier for internal promotion after leaving the first time as they know you're good. New employers rely too much on a CV than if you're any good.
    Maybe best to add a note to the CV than to let them create something in their minds and reject your application on an incorrect assumption.
    The biggest hit for me the second time has been money. It's a shock but doable.