1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Packed my bags and moved... to London!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by SarahLee599, Jan 2, 2017.

1. SarahLee599

SarahLee599 New commenter

Hello everyone! First time posting here but very excited to meet everyone. I just recently moved to London from California, and I’m now working at an international school here as the guidance counselor. I have been working in upper level schools for a long time now but this is the first time I experience the British education system. Have any of you dealt with any sort of changes like this? (not even countries necessarily) I moved here mid-November so it has been a pretty crazy transition, however I think the experience is worthwhile. I never imagined I would live in Europe and learn so much about other cultures or ways of doing things. I'm curious to know if you have any advice about how to fit in better and try to get as much out of this experience as possible.

Thanks,
    Sarah Lee

PS: I actually started a little podcast about this transition, and everything I’m learning in the process! Turns out the UK and US have quite different application processes.If you are interested here is a link to my podcast, www.bit.ly/2ixKf0M, I’d love to hear some feedback from fellow educators.

JosieWhitehead and cuteinpuce like this.
  2. wordsworth

wordsworth Senior commenter

Hi Sarah and welcome to London! I am in the process of listening to your podcast. I hope you have a great time here:)

I'm not sure that I have any particular advice right now, other than to be careful in London as, in common with other cities, it has muggers etc. But then again, I have children your age so I am feeling very protective of you right now.

One word of warning, you might want to anonymise your username on this site.

Best wishes:)

bombaysapphire and emerald52 like this.
  3. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

Was born and lived in London all me life until I escaped as it became a war zone - and that was just the schools. I have taught across most of Asia since and there is no comparison at all. Eager, disciplined students and teachers allowed to teach. You will be hard pushed to find that in London.

But hey, London is not that bad. Nah, keep a sense of humour and do not - ever - take it seriously or you will be eaten alive. Still a great city for things to do and see.

As for moving from California to London.....now that's what I call an headache inducing mystery!!

emerald52 likes this.
  4. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

Welcome to London! Advice is not to take things literally as the humour here is very different. Find a local pub and go to quiz night, join a choir, theatre group or walking group so you meet ordinary local people. Talk about the weather and learn to make a pot of tea properly and say 'I'll put the kettle on' when someone arrives. The NHS is fantastic despite the gloom and doom in the media.

InkyP, rachelpaula008 and cuteinpuce like this.
  5. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Good luck Sarah. London is an amazing city, not like the rest of the UK, which can be lovely but in different ways. I hope you've settled in and have started making friends. Britain in winter can be a gloomy old place so look after yourself. Come and chat on here but perhaps change your name as @wordsworth said.

rachelpaula008 likes this.
  6. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

You'll be Lord Mayor in no time, you did remember to bring a cat?

[​IMG]
    (The OP pictured before boarding the plane)

Last edited: Jan 2, 2017
    emerald52, sabrinakat, nomad and 3 others like this.
  7. slingshotsally

slingshotsally Star commenter

Hope you have a lovely time-

When I moved down to London, I got myself an A2Z and explored Zones or areas.

There are also Walks around London to do-

Here are free Walks http://www.cooltanarts.org.uk/event...Owc2l9PPHttbqWYBuBW3knxaU-WyJo15LoBoCSG3w_wcB

Guided Walks you pay for
    http://www.walks.com/our-walks/sunday-walks

I was single and not lonely so much as bored at weekends and during longer holidays. As a result I made plans and ensured that my free time was well organised and I made the most of being single.

Being in London was a joy and I would have stayed there had I not had children - which doesn't really need to have more than a minor mention on this thread.

Wishing you a wonderful 2017!

emerald52 and rachelpaula008 like this.
  8. NewToTeachingOldToMaths

NewToTeachingOldToMaths Lead commenter

Oh no it isn't ...

(Note to OP ... there is something quintessentially English going on here. Don't worry if you don't understand it just yet ... )

Last edited: Jan 2, 2017
  9. install

install Star commenter

Love the podcasts - hope you enjoy London and if you can explore elsewhere in the Uk too..

emerald52 likes this.
  10. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Watch and learn.One thing most English do not like being told is that your or another country is better than the one your in.When we say 'how are you?' its not really a question...normally the answer is' not bad','could be better', or some non committal reply.
    Remember, London has lots of Americans living here so you become homesick link up to their groups..... but better to meet real folks.I am from the North of England and after 39 years here i still have not explored huge parts of London so do not worry if you dont.take time to absorb some of its history and look for the hidden places.such as the pubs that survived the great ire of London and the plague churches .......or all the small churches dating from medieval times or later in the CITY of LONDON. A lot will depend upon your interests....but its country of vast differences and once you get to grips with language,living and costs take time to explore our beautiful land. its a lot less vast than the States.I have just had 2 weeks in New England and 3 states in 2 weeks was over a 1000 miles of travel...you can travel from one end of England to the tips of Scotland in a 1000 miles and in a couple of days.but you will find lots of things to do and say. If you a tv make sure you pay your license fee as there are many good things you can watch free and not a many adverts as American tv.None on the BBC..
    So get out explore and question how, why and when do we do different things. try not to boast of your land....but listen and folks will open up to you bit by bit.

11. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Star commenter

Ooooh! I think you should have tried Yorkshire first of all, ha ha I hope you'll have time to visit our part of the country as it is SO beautiful as everyone will tell you. I think what you have done is great and I did the same thing when I was young, but I went from England to Canada and enjoyed the time I spent there. I think that everyone needs a time in life when they can just do whatever they want without any ties. Later on when and if you marry and are tied with a mortgage, a family etc you don't get the same chance. Take it and enjoy it whilst you can - but still come to Yorkshire!!

emerald52 likes this.
  12. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Lancashire's not bad either.by eck:)

JosieWhitehead likes this.
  13. annie2010

annie2010 Occasional commenter

Welcome to our wonderful city! I wasn't born in London, but moved here a long time ago , and stayed!
    As other posters have suggested, join any groups, classes etc. which follow your interests.
    Visit museums and galleries- many of which are free . Walk lots, and enjoy the architecture and ambience. Go to street markets in various areas and see how cosmopolitan London is.

emerald52 likes this.
  14. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Star commenter

15. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Hope you have a good time in London @SarahLee599; you will be able to see glimpses of Britain there occasionally. :rolleyes: