1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Packed curriculum

Discussion in 'Primary' started by teacup71, Oct 23, 2015.

1. teacup71

teacup71 Occasional commenter

Even though we have no timings for foundation subjects, I still find that there is still too much to fit in. We find we are trying to fit in 15 mins of spelling, times tables etc in the afternoon. We are trying to do lots of cross curricular writing to practise skills and two hours of PE.
    I am really looking at our creative curriculum and how we can make more links.
    Anyone having similar issues?

2. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

And ever was it thus.

The easy answer is that there's no easy answer. Making links is sensible (such as writing opportunities and linking subjects such as art to othher subjects) but I'd just add that great care needs to be taken not to make links too tenuous or you risk diluting content.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

So true. Link what you can and teach other subject areas discretely. It does require planning your whole year in advance and seeing where you can't fit in 'creatively' and even then it's just so hard.
    Having just got to half-term and looking at my 'expected outcomes' I realise we've been very busy but will still not be 'ticking of' on several of those outcomes. I feel it's like pedalling furiously and then realising you're on a static cycle and although you have a full meter reading you haven't 'moved' on inch.

4. guinnesspuss

guinnesspuss Star commenter

5. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Don't be so 'creative' all of the time. Dedicate a couple of days each week, mornings are best, to slog. Slog is important to get facts in; there is no point developing skills if you haven't got facts to apply them to. Do not allow things like tables to slide for the sake of cross-curricular activities which entertain your staff.

As for PE, consider the Daily Mile.

6. Msz

Msz Established commenter

You seem to be confusing "creative" with taking it easy ...children and staff will be slogging every day!

7. Vince_Ulam

Wrong kind of slog, as Nick warns:

You can spend hours pushing against a door that pulls open but you aren't going to get anywhere except tired. Misdirected effort is worse than doing nothing at all.

8. Msz

Again you seem to be using your own definition of "creative"

9. carriecat10

carriecat10 Established commenter Community helper

Have you thought of blocking certain subjects? This might mean that you are not teaching every subject all the time but having 'topic' blocks several times a week allows you to bring these together under topic themes.

10. Vince_Ulam

You just keep charging right on past the point, there. You're doing great.

11. Msz

The point is you don't seem to know what creativity is yet you're ready to make judgements interesting

12. Vince_Ulam

Read back over this very short thread and when you discover that I have not, in fact, defined 'creativity' then I'll be happy to ignore the apology you won't bother giving.

13. Msz

youre right you can't define something you don't understand

14. Vince_Ulam

I can assure you that creativity isn't defined as cross-curricular subject obfuscation.

15. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

I must admit I struggle with the notion of the 'creative' curriculum. Why is linking subjects seen as 'creative'? Is it not possible to teach discrete subjects and also be 'creative'? The suggestion seems to be that linking every subject together is better than not doing so. Which it isn't. It's just different. The word 'creative' has been misappropriated.

As for it being easier; it's not. It's a lot more difficult if you do it properly. But it's very easy to do it badly.

Lara mfl 05 and Vince_Ulam like this.
  16. Msz

Vince didn't say creative curriculum

17. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

It was mentioned in the first post and has been referred to throughout the thread.

18. Msz

Then perhaps it would be useful for people to say what they actually mean by that rather than use meaningless throw away labels.

19. teacup71

teacup71 Occasional commenter

Yes we do block. Creative for me is a number of things including creative teaching styles. But also thinking creatively about the timetable and finding links. In this respect links means finding opportunities to practise objectives across the curriculum. We do discrete lessons. We do slog in every lesson.
    I suppose I was feeling a bit worried about this half term. I suppose it's always a tricky half term as the children are also settling in again. It is always a shock coming back to September.
    I also should be happy that we are dealing with issues so there is progress even though I have not covered everything in my medium term plans. I know you are going to tell me off and say that is the point of the new curriculum.
    I always think that coming on these sites is a good way to maybe chat to people with similar issues. Don't argue. Life's too short.

20. Camokidmommy

Camokidmommy Established commenter

Don't argue. Life's too short.

Hear, hear!