1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Packaging and plastic

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Marshall, Dec 29, 2018.

1. Marshall

Marshall Star commenter

I have always - for many years - taken a stand on reducing my use. I have to admit it has slipped a little but since I've been off work I have more time and I am shocked.

Bought some Albert Rooster Apache potatoes which were excellent but they were packed in a really strong plastic film as well as a plastic tray! I have emailed them but won't buy them again for the plastic reason. As well s the plastic how much extra does this cost?

We have had some KP nuts (in small drums) for Christmas and no information at all on recycling - again I have sent an email.

I could go on and on...

I don't 'bag' my veg in the supermarket and the till operators always look at me strangely!

This is my new (renewed) 'passion' for 2019 - something to focus on other than work.

2. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

This year I started to try to buy fruit and veg at grocers where it's more acceptable to buy it loose and stick it in your own (cloth) bag. I got into the habit of always having a folded shopping back in my own bag so that I can refuse plastic bags in shops. I switched back to monthly contacts instead of dailies to reduce the horrific quantity of plastic generated.

It's not enough, but it's a start.

3. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Like my parents when I was a child, back with the old sometimes so much better than the new with the benefit of hindsight.

4. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Star commenter

Who remembers 'string bags'? My mum used them in the seventies - they folded up/squashed and were easy to use - there's nothing new under the sun! (As an aside, my mum used to wash used aluminium foil and tear in half sheets of kitchen towel. She was green before her time, but as we were quite hard up, it was probably an economy measure!)

5. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

Yes, plastic was hailed as a fantastic invention and replaced so much that was perfectly serviceable and affordable.

And PEOPLE STILL BUY NESPRESSO COFFEE CAPSULES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad:

needabreak and Marshall like this.
  6. BertieBassett2

...which are recyclable!

7. Lazycat

Lazycat Senior commenter

I too am trying to reduce the amount of plastic that I use but I really think manufacturers need to take more responsibility - the amount of plastic packaging on food is completely unnecessary in my view. It’s going to take a long time for us to get this right so I suppose we all have to do our bit

8. Marshall

Marshall Star commenter

Interesting I had never though about coffee capsules!

needabreak likes this.
  9. Marshall

Marshall Star commenter

Does the same apply to Tassimo capsules? I need to check!

10. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

I quite like those little coffee makers that sit on the stove... Lavatsa? Too cute and quaint looking.

bombaysapphire likes this.
  11. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

But also contain plastic coffee!!!

CheeseMongler and BertieBassett2 like this.
  12. Ivartheboneless

I still use an old fashioned sit on the stove coffee percolator heated by the gas ring. It makes wonderful coffee. Waste is coffee grounds, though admittedly there is a plastic bag the coffee grounds come in.

BertieBassett2 likes this.
  13. BertieBassett2

No @Ivartheboneless, I won't have that! Being half Dutch, coffee was religion in our house and I have drunk various kinds around the world and I find Nespresso capsules (the strongest available) fulfil my coffee fix brilliantly. I have only had better coffee in America. (Mind you, I'd say MacDonald's coffee takes some beating!)

14. Ivartheboneless

You must have damaged tastebuds if you think that, sorry. The best coffee I have ever had was in Italy, they should know.

15. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I think we are pretty responsible when it comes to food packaging, but mainly because we are both cheapskates and so don't buy stuff that comes in loads of packaging.
    We buy giant economy packs of teabags, cereals and so on, so hardly any waste.
    We buy loose vegetables and fruit where possible and (other than mushrooms) just plonk it in the shopping bag unwrapped.

Amazon deliveries are another matter entirely! (Luckily I have a class who 'reuse' the cardboard boxes and reams of packing paper!)
    Dig them in to the garden for fab fertiliser. Does wonders for strawberries.

Lara mfl 05 and Marshall like this.
  16. towncryer

towncryer Lead commenter

Plastic awareness hasn't really caught on in my part of the world,,,at least not as far as the shops are concerned...so when I take my used plastic bags back to my local shop to use again ,the shop staff staff look at each other with an amused smile,,,however, they do humour their crazy expat and allow me to use my bags,,,but they are clearly doing me a favour!

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  17. Photo51

Photo51 Established commenter

They are the best , Bialletti, and the coffee comes in 250g tins

18. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

If you have space, try growing your own veg. It's heathier, tastier, way cheaper and has no packaging at all.

And a lot easier than you might think,

19. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Extra packaging that displays the goods nicely has become synonymous with premium products. As much as anything we need to not expect more expensive things to come with more packaging to indicate their worth.

I retain a special contempt for ready meals. Apart from the fact that buying them indicates someone has given up on life somewhat, they contain very little food for the amount of plastic and cardboard involved. The black plastic trays usually used are one of the hardest kinds of plastic to recycle and it hardly ever is, though is used because it shows the food off better.

Marshall likes this.
  20. Marshall

Marshall Star commenter

I don't have time or the space. I used to use our farm shop but there produce is not local at all.

We could really extend this post to animal welfare, etc.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.