1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Packages to support delivery of OCR National Level 2

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by rubikwizard, Nov 9, 2011.

1. rubikwizard

rubikwizard New commenter

I could be wrong but I don't think students starting in Y9 can be counted in the league tables???

2. No, it's not about league tables. This is a targeted intervention aimed at boosting their confidence by giving them the chance to get a GCSE early. There is some evidence, apparently, that this has a long lasting improved effect on their chances in year 10 and 11. Not sure what effect it would have were they to fail, but I'm told this is quite hard to do - perhaps others may be able to confirm this?

3. cj3

cj3

No facility to upload - but classmates books materials are good - a bit wordy - but the tutorials and example work are of a much higher standard than the average output I've seen for OCR Nats. And yes - it is very hard not to pass.....

4. DEmsley

DEmsley New commenter

No VLE - wasn't it Govt policy that secondary schools had to have one by 2008?
    I'd look at the SERIF stuff - even if you don't use their software the materials are quite good for scaffolding weaker kids.
    I like the some of the mrpearce.co.uk stuff.

5. Re the VLE - it's a long story I won't go into here!
    The materials aren't really the problem (I looked at Mrpearce and it appears to be for the old units), it's more the webspace option I am looking for, and some idea of whether the moderators were happy with what the kids produced using any of these materials.

6. Totally80s

Totally80s New commenter

MS OneNote as an e-portfolio??

7. I'm not familiar with this. Is it a normal part of Office 2007? We don't appear to have it installed on our system. As I don't know what it does, I'm not sure it would actually solve the problem we have, of the students being able to save their work somewhere secure where teachers can access it to assess it and no other <strike>little darling</strike> student can interfere with it.

8. Seconded on Classmate, though the tutorials are on specific software that you might not have - Publisher for one. Plenty of example pages on their website. As far as I'm aware Mr Pearce materials are still on the old spec?

9. Thanks for that. We do have Publisher. I've checked and yes, the MrPearce stuff is for the old spec. Unfortunately given our timescales we really don't have time to map the old against the new and fill in the gaps.
    Still hoping someone can recommend something with an option for students to upload their work.
    Has anyone used anything else for this, or are we the only school in the world who can't do it on their own system?

10. DEmsley

DEmsley New commenter

Not sure what your tech support or budget is but it is very easy to put in a VLE with Moodle, less that a morning's work.

11. Thanks all but maybe my original post wasn't clear. It's not the resources I'm looking for particularly, what I need is somewhere secure for students to upload their work, and if there is a resource which supports this. Our shared area is not secure - other students regularly delete files. Although there is the facility to change the security settings, these are regularly reset to the default settings which give full read/write access to all!