1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pace

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by rusmus, Mar 18, 2011.

1. rusmus

rusmus New commenter

Thanks for the advice - I have a formal observation today with my tutor from uni and I've tried to put the lesson into chunks and I'll definitely try giving them a time frame for each activity.
    Fingers crossed!

2. amarantine

amarantine New commenter

How did your observation go?
    In terms of pace, it was something I struggled with until I found countdown timers for powerpoint! Now I genuinely do not know what I would do without them. Just google countdown timers for powerpoint, and loads will come up, the first site (which I can't remember the name of I'm afraid) is brilliant. It has timers for everything from 5 seconds all the way up to 20 minutes - I cannot stress enough how awesome these timers are!
    Have fun with them!

3. rusmus

rusmus New commenter

I'll look into those timers for powerpoint - they sound really helpful. Sorry for delay in thanking you - had the worst week of my teaching life so far last week and nearly quit but here I am. back for more!

4. Pace is often difficult for trainees. One tip I give my trainees is to outline the lesson from the start - write up the lesson parts on the board or have them as a PPT or IWB file.
    Let's imagine there are 6 parts to the lesson - tell the pupils what they/you need to get through in that lesson - allocate time to each part. As you go through the lesson check off the bits you have done. If they are all being slow - remind the cloass that they stilol have X,Y and Z to do so they need to focus more, concentrate and work without distratction. Adjust the timing as you fo and give reminders about how much tikme they have to so an activity and how much time is left. 'unfinished items may have to be added to homework' helps them focus!
    If they are working well and the pace is fast, praise them, congratulate them and tell them how pleased you are at how well they are working.
    See if that works
    James

5. wkclark

wkclark New commenter

Just wondering if people had any more thoughts on the issue of pace... the dreaded 'p' word. I get pulled up for slowing pace to stop if students start talking when I am talking, and I get pulled up for trying to keep going when a few students are not engaged and are chatting away. Do I stop and wait for silence? Do I keep struggling on and speak to those few students later? Sometimes it is them not just chatting, but shouting out random things... Sometimes their chatting gets so bad it takes me two or three tries to get a sentence out!
    I feel like if there are a few students (not just two individual students sharing an isoltaed whisper or comment) being rude to me I have to stop because I don't want this class thinking it's ok to speak when I am speaking. The group I am thinking of in particular have especial difficulty listening to and actually following instuctions.... which is partially why it is SO important to try to keep going, so I don't 'lose' the entire class, but equally important that they don't think it's alright to speak when I do (even though they are at least 10 members of that class consistently speaking when I am)... HELP!!
    GTP, btw, so I only get observed during my weekly 'formal' lesson observations, which means getting advice on how to get the balance right is tricky...

6. mpc

mpc

(1) Have you considered doing less teaching from the front? More explanation on post-its or worksheets to reduce teacher talk time?
    (2) With groups like this, I sometimes say ' Look guys, I'll need five minutes to explain this and then i'ts over to you/.
    (3) Do stick to your guns re behaviour though! It's tough but the kids are just testing you out to see what you'll do!