1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pace in art lessons

Discussion in 'Art and design' started by pixie85, Feb 28, 2012.

1. pixie85

pixie85 New commenter

I am an NQT who is teaching art and design this year. I trained in design technology but my degree is in art.
    I am struggling at the moment with maintaining pace in my art lessons and pupils are losing concentration.
    I find that when I try to break a lesson down into smaller parts that quality suffers. I'm also not sure how to best break some of the tasks down into smaller parts - for example in Year 7 pupils produce a tonal self-portrait which should take a double lesson to do. I'm not sure how I can break this task down into parts which will keep the pupils interested without sacrificing quality.
    Any ideas as to how you break your lessons down and maintain concentration in (long/double) art lessons particularly KS3 would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. Lottes

Lottes New commenter

The portrait lessons... teach it step by step- face shape and proportions; then have an activity guessing which eyes belong to which celebrity; then teach how to draw in the eyes and students draw theirs in; then look at portaits by a couple of other artists, perhaps one that has over-emphasised the eyes and discuss; then teach nose and mouth and get the students to decide on the best on their table so far; then maybe see if there are some portrait artist video clips on youtube or bbc bitesize to show.
    Keep using the countdown clock from http://classtools.net/education-games-php/timer/ to keep the pace up each time you get them to draw in the feature. Then they could have an extended time to add tone and detail. Those who finish quickly could try doing a typograhic portrait using tracing paper over a magazine image.