1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

P60s - Anyone willing to be honest?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by jmntsp, May 28, 2011.

1. jmntsp

jmntsp New commenter

Anyone willing to share their supply earnings for the year? I'll start it off. My P60 says I earned £14,400 this year, which amazed me to be honest. I didn't think I'd done that much. I've had bursts of work. Apr - Jul 2010 I did 3 days a week in a school. Then I didn't work til Oct when I had about 2 days for a couple of weeks. Then I reckon I worked more or less full time in Nov and about 7 days in Dec. Jan to Easter I had a contract for 4 hours per week 1:1. Can't believe I've earned that. I'm not sure if I'm pleased or not......it's not really enough to live on, but it's probably more than I'd earn if I got a full time job in Tesco, for example. The trouble is, every time I get a week's work I find myself thinking, 'Hmm, I'd have to do about 150 hours on minimum wage to earn that'. I live in this pathetic illusion of thinking I might get a full time job or enough supply to live on and it's just enough to keep me in teaching rather than getting out altogether and finding another job.

2. All I can say is that averaging 4 days a week - I wouldn't be - and didn't - <u>take home</u> less than 10k over 18-20 working weeks.
    If I was in a position of taking home less than this, sadly I think it would be time to diversify careerwise.

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I've,yet again, failed to earn enough to get into the allocated earnings tax bracket this past year! [​IMG]

4. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

&pound;3253-09p! I was shocked, even though I knew work was thin on the ground. It's mostly made up of 2 and 3 hour bookings.
    I've paid no tax on it, obviously, but will be a taxpayer (just) when my rental property profit is added in. The trouble is that the property profit is the capital repayment part of the mortgage so I have no surpus money from the property income and will have to pay my tax bill next January out of my teaching income . I'll owe about &pound;500 I reckon.
    As we tell the kids, work hard and get good qualifications and you'll be more employable in the workforce and earn more than those who didn't take advantage of educational opportunities and didn't go to university!

5. Since May 2010 I have earned &pound;470 net!

6. I forgot to mention that, as I have spent nearly &pound;800 on CRBs and the like, I have made a net loss for over &pound;300 for the year.

7. Can I just say that any agency that ever asked me to pay my own CRB was told no than you and I moved on. This was defininitely the right move to make as I then found more scrupulous agencies that didn't AND paid far more appropriately, hence the income difference between the post I made and the shameful affairs others have. What a sad teaching world we now live in.
    Indeed one well known agency that kept prompting me to pay for a CRB - forabout 3months on the promise of a job - eventually told me they would pay the CRB and my travel to an interview as they were so desperate for me to come on board, to fill a vacancy they had noone with the skills set to fill! So it is worth sitting it out - and tbh it's not as though these agencies seem to be making anyone rich by the sounds of it![​IMG]

8. nearmiss

nearmiss Lead commenter

You have been done if you paid for more than one CRB certificate. You must do as I did and write to your MP. The Government has consistently been dragging its heels over the question of making one CRB check universally portable unless a previous employer refuses to grant portability. I have the backing of the chairman of the Criminal Records Bureau himself on this matter. Employers are not following official guidelines and scaring people into having existing certificates unnecessarily duplicated.
    You only need one certificate. Anyone who won't accept the one you have is on the make, especially if they charge an admin. fee.
    Please contact me for the full story.
    I have run a successful campaign and am trying to gain publicity about this matter. Employees in the public sector are being ripped off. The law is clear on this matter. Your CRB is portable. That's it. Simple.
    Write to your MP now.

9. jmntsp

jmntsp New commenter

Thanks to all who responded! I know it was a bit of a cheeky question, but we all keep sighing about the fact that supply work is so thin on the ground and I wondered if any of us were actually making a living......the answer seems to be 'ummmm....not entirely'. Not sure if I feel encouraged that I'm not the only one struggling or despondent that we are all in the same boat. As you say, we went to university, studied hard, played by the rules to earn a decent salary and enjoy a profession and yet, here we are - earning less (I believe) than a trainee manager in MacDonalds (I saw an advert for one the other day and they were offering £18,500). No disrespect to the Big Mac but I kinda figured my degree, PGCE and passion for educating the young were worth a bit more than that. Like I say, I did better than I'd realised, but actually I'm 44 with a mortgage and 4 kids to support. Anyway, a big thanks to all who were honest enough to give me a bit of feedback. (See my lack of education! I've now disclosed my age and my financial earnings. Very rude). LOL.

10. OMG how are you managing that. I only cleared &pound;12,000 last year and this year does'nt look as though it will be much better and I've had two full time long term positions already this year.

11. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

You should maybe apply for Aldi's grauate training scheme then - £40K a year and a company car ;-)

12. jmntsp

jmntsp New commenter

Golly! Seriously??? Sigh....am I not too old? My 4 year old thinks I should be a firelady or a policewoman (he must have a thing about women in uniform) and is very disgruntled to have me say that in my mid 40s I reckon I'm past the age where either the fire service or the police would accept me. Clearly, and despite my desire to 'Be the Best' I don't suppose the army are recruiting old birds like me. I feel a bit like Yosser Hughes, for those of us old enough to remember 'Boys from the Blackstuff' with his 'Gizza job!'. Do you think Aldi might like a finely matured woman like myself - or are they too after bright eyed 22 year olds?