1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

P6 in Y5?!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by perky_panda, Jan 24, 2012.

1. Hi, am having a new boy start after half term. He is ASD. Bear in mind I teach Y4/5 so average level is 3c-4b (even lowest is 2a). He is P6 for english and 1b for maths. Has made no progress since KS2 sats and is Y5!

I am completely at a loss about what to do and I have 27 others who now won't have as much support (including several with statements and SEN) can I be in 10 places at once?

If you have any resources, information or ideas can you please let me know as I am stuck, never taught this low before and when the rest are so high compared it makes it 10x harder.
    Thanks!

2. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

Get loads of lovely volunteers to work with him all day every day.[​IMG]

3. He might benefit from a visual timetable - ie a symbol for when has maths, language, break etc with a velcro backing.
    It is not relevant whether he is Year 4 or Year 5. He is in the wrong setting !.
    However, like you are doing already by looking for ways of making it "work", that has what has happened in the past and not successfully because he has always been in the wrong setting.
    By making extra resources, teaching a very different level of work you are carrying on the process. As you said, other children will get less help once this boy starts.
    What I never understand is, we as teachers continue to do this and the child we are doing it for actually doesn't get that much out of it !!!.
    You need to see the Head immediately this boy starts and make him fully aware of the problem. You are paid to teach 27 - not to give 1 to 1 support.

4. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

Will the parents have actively chosen a mainstream primary rather than a special school?

5. Does he have a statement and 1:1?

If he doesn't, then first thing you need to do is to get the SENCO to apply for that.

Are you in a primary or junior school? If you're in a primary talk to FS and KS1 teachers to find out how they get kids from a P6 to a P7 and from a 1b to a 1a.

I'd look at Numicon for Maths.

And Bearing Away for Literacy.

6. Thanks for the ideas especially for lit and maths. He will have support 1:1 (will have to although the TA isn't specifically in the room for him, she is meant to be supporting at least 2 people but won't be able to now). He has got a statement, though what help that is really. I have started to gather bits together and have spoken to the FS teacher about resources, she also spoke to the outside agency who offers support and they said they will come and see him when he starts with the aim of trying to see him once a week, so at least thats something. Argh so much to do on top of the usual pre-ofsted madness and assessment etc!