1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

P5 levels in year 2

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by janie k, Jun 28, 2011.

1. I work in a mainstream primary. Since nursery teachers have raised concerns about a pupil who, although a lovely character, is unable to access the curriculum. He has been statemented with global delay and this year held back to repeat year 1. He is expected to receive 12.5 hours support a week and the teacher tries really hard to provide this. However, this is not only difficult but seems to be having little effect and he is currently working at P5 across all areas. We have a wonderful school nearby that is well equipped to deal with such issues but our SENCO is reluctant to push for this and has advised parents against it. A colleague has offered to visit the school with mum but this has not been passed on. My question - is the school meeting this child's needs and, if not, at what point do they officially declare this.

2. R13

R13 New commenter

Impossible question without knowing the detail really BUT the Annual Review should be asking and answering that question.
    Where I work (Special School) there are lots of children in similar positions with similar questions but we are so over subscribed it's ridiculous. We do however offer outreach and support many, many pupils and teachers in mainstream