1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

P1 teachers - I need your opinion! :-)

Discussion in 'Scotland - Primary' started by Dresifer, Mar 9, 2016.

?

Should I defer my Feb born child's school start?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Dresifer

Dresifer New commenter

I'm a primary school teacher (and mum) planning a move back to Scotland next year. My Feb born daughter is a bright wee thing and very chatty but quite small and not very confident physically. My gut instinct is to defer her entry to p1 till 2018 so she gets another year of nursery, and personally I'm all for the delaying the start of formal education to give children the best possibly set of tools (socially and emotionally as well as academically) with which to start school. But I'd like to hear your thoughts from the front line! I'm only really familiar with the English reception year which is quite play based but becoming increasingly more formal. What would you do? Is my hunch right? Thanks.

2. misspent

misspent New commenter

I would urge you to consider the bigger picture. I have seen parents hold children back born around the same time and the perceived issues often quickly vanish and you are left with a pupil who quite obviously should have been in the older year group. If you feel this is the right thing to do-obviously you should and I'm also a big believer in gut instinct but just take into consideration the situation further down the line.