1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

P Scales and NC levels

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by J-Stone, Apr 10, 2012.

1. Can anybody help to clarify my understanding of P Scales and NC levels used together. I had the understanding that P scales are used for pupils below NC level one. I have now seen a class level described as P8 NCL2
    Does this mean that I consider both their progress level and the National Curriculum level together?

2. dzil

dzil Occasional commenter

Maybe the ability within the class ranges from P8 to NC level 2.
    You are right in stating that the P levels are used to measure progress below level 1 national curriculum. They range from P1 through to P8 then the national curriculum levels take over. (those of us who use the P levels regularly do find they don't run as smoothly from one to the other as they should and there is some overlap, but officially there should not be)
    P1 to P3 are common for all subjects, P4 and above differ according to subject.The subjects and strands are the same as those in the NC levels. It is therefore quite possible to have a pupil working at P8 in one subject and NC 2 in another, or even P8 in one strand and NC 2 in another, e.g. P8 reading and NC 2 speaking and listening within English.
    Hope this helps. Please ask if you need further explanation.

3. We have looked at this VERY closely in school and found that there is not a clear progression from P8 to NCL1. Some of the level descriptors for P8 seem higher than L1. I suspect that the people who wrote the p levels were not the same as those who wrote the NC levels. Best fit???

4. R13

R13 New commenter

You are right in your assumption that they were written by different people and the match up clearly isn't smooth at all BUT the intention is that P8 leads into NC levels
    I can also add that those who wrote the P Levels were looking to have the progress made in 1 level to equate to wh may be of intereat an MLD child might do in a year and what an SLS child might achieve in a Key Stage. Obviously that involved some huge generalisations but it is of interest when we compare it to progression guidelines