1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

P-scales and EYFS

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by hannahsed, Apr 15, 2011.

1. hello i am new to this forum.

i am at uni just finishing an early childhoos studies degree. i am writting my dissertaion on whether special educational needs children should be placed under a curriculum based on their chronological age or developmental age. i was wondering if any one had any information or litrature on the links between the pscales and the eyfs as working with both of these curriculums many links have become apparent however finding it difficult to back this theory up. i also feel that if a child is at the developmental stage of the EYFS they should be placed under that curriculum not the p sclaes as pscales are taught EYFS learning outcomes are developed through play. how can we teach children when they have not developed life skills through play. but once again cant find any litrature to help back this up. if you can help id much appreciate it.
    hannah

2. fulloffun

fulloffun New commenter

The p scales are for children working on the National curriculum not EYFS

3. Lots of special schools use the P Levels in the EYFS.
    There are some children who need to be taught how to play, and again there are children who will never reach the early learning goals.

4. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Sorry but I can't see the advantage of using P scales for children in EYFS. If they are working bellow ELGs they are also working below P scales and would be assessed using the DMs or using portage assessment (which is what we used prior to EYFS)...

5. Msz

http://nationalstrategies.standards.dcsf.gov.uk/node/97947
    Early Years Foundation Stage
    The P scales have not been designed for use in the Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS).
    The P Scales and the early learning goals have been written for different purposes and have been constructed in different ways.
    The early learning goals specify expectations for children's progression by the end of the Foundation Stage, while the P Scales were written for use with children of National Curriculum age who are working towards level 1 or who are working within levels 1 or 2 of the National Curriculum for extended periods of time. They were written primarily for supporting target setting in the context of the National Curriculum.
    The early learning goals themselves (and consequently items 4-8 in any scale) are not necessarily hierarchical and do not necessarily reflect progression.
    For these reasons P scales should not be used in the Early Years Foundation Stage.

6. Leapyearbaby64

Leapyearbaby64 New commenter

My understanding of the OP is that they are suggesting that children who are developmentally of an age to be in EYFS should carry on with the EYFS curriculum rather than be assessed on P scales against the NC.

7. P scales should be used with the National Curriculum - not for Early Years GRRRRR!!!

8. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Yes, but the OP is asking what should be done with those who are old enough for the National Curriculum stage of education but are still developmentally at the EYFS stage.
    Should they be kept in Early Years rather than being subjected to P Scales that they have no hope of achieving?

9. HI there - I have begun to use P scales for a child in my Reception class who is working below the ELG - around P2/3 across the board. This is based on advice from LA and local special school. If I am not to use P scales then what else do I use as an assessment tool for this child? It's quite a grey area isn't it?

10. Would using P-Scales make any difference to the way you teach the child, or just to how you record it on paper?

11. Msz

It would mean yet again the teacher is doing additional paperwork for no good reason

12. Leapyearbaby64

Leapyearbaby64 New commenter

I've never sought advice on this, but I use the development matters bands for children who are not scoring ELG.

13. Msz

The advice from my LA is to use DM levels for assessment. In the past (pre EYFS) I found P scales started too high and I used portage assessments on the advice of the EP (4 year old functioning at 18 month level)

14. Most special schools use some sort of assessment software, like B-squared or Pivats, that is based on P-scales, and will use it to assess EYFS children just because it's there and it means that everyone in school is doing the same thing.
    As others have said P-scales should not be used for EYFS children, for reasons already stated. I work in a special school and I use DM levels for assessment.
    Another alternative tool is 'Routes for Learning' if you have children with profound difficulties:
    http://wales.gov.uk/topics/educationandskills/schoolshome/curriculuminwales/additionaleducationalneeds/routeslearning/;jsessionid=Zqy6NHfVyjsG98hTF9NZ1SQ8XJLKXqTDrHKr4vwLQ1hvNFHyqb7q!1531853584?lang=en