1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

P Scale help

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by King38, Feb 12, 2012.

1. Hi
    Don't know if anyone can help, what rate of progress is expected for a child working on p scales? We have 2 children in Y3 who are currently on p 6 and p7. I am having a meeting with LA to review our progress and attainment and I'm not sure what is expected.
    Also, I have found some b squared ticklist sheets in some 'forgotten' drawer at school. They list examples of what a child might have succeeded with on a p scale. However, I'm missing some sheets and levels. Does anyone have copies or is that copyright?
    Thanks

2. Hi
    Don't know if anyone can help, what rate of progress is expected for a child working on p scales? We have 2 children in Y3 who are currently on p 6 and p7. I am having a meeting with LA to review our progress and attainment and I'm not sure what is expected.
    Also, I have found some b squared ticklist sheets in some 'forgotten' drawer at school. They list examples of what a child might have succeeded with on a p scale. However, I'm missing some sheets and levels. Does anyone have copies or is that copyright?
    Thanks

3. The special schools I have worked in have used the CASPA data system which gives you percentile graphs for each pupil so that you can see the average attainment for a pupil with the same SEN need eg PMLD/SLD/ASC/MLD and you can plot the child's attainment against this.
    However OFSTED currently favour RAISE Online which is similar to CASPA so it might be worth looking into that. I'm not sure if you are in mainstream or special ed so I'm covering all bases!
    The last gvt also introduced Progression Guidance which was designed to help teachers of pupils with SEN give 'aspirational' targets for progress - this is still online. There was initially mention that pupils should make 2 P levels of progress within a key stage which everyone was very critical of , in the later edition there is a caveat to say some pupils will not be able to do this which is a relief!
    My personal view is that you should look at data software to help you but you should also be able to talk about the pupil as an individual and know where their strengths and difficulties within the P Scales are. It is also worth noting that if a pupil cannot write with a pen/cil then the use of symbols /ICT to write are acceptable - otherwise they are stuck!
    Sorry can't help with BSquared as never used it - maybe someone else will pick this one up!

4. I'm in mainstream. I'll look up the progression guidance. Looking at our 'milestones' document we have been set a certain % for progression. This includes aspirational targets. However it is difficult to say whether we have fully met these targets as I don't know what progress is expected of these 2 children! They tend to make one p scale progress in a year. Obviously those children on p scales can not be expected to make same rate of progress, especially those receiving regular medical intervention. However, OFSTED and the LA tend to look at percentages first and sometimes ask questions later!
    Thanks

5. The accepted guidance is that one P level is equivalent to a full NC level for tracking purposes-ie 3 sublevels progress.

6. In special school we have been told one P level each year!

7. R13

R13 New commenter

CASPA and progression guidance are the way to go. OFSTED are very focussed on progression guidance and it does take into account previous attainment and age (Though not degree of learning difficulty) CASPA can also take that into account which is one of its strengths.
    When the P Levels were drafted civil servants were looking at drawing up steps of progress which an MLD child might achieve in a year and an SLD child but make in a Key Stage . . . . in my view they did a pretty good job but the systems mentioned above look at actual pupils progress and can help you target your children's progress at a high and appropriate level