1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

P.G.C.E Withdrawal regret

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by DRESSMAKER, Feb 19, 2011.

1. Dear James,
    Please can you give me some advice. I withdrew from my course a few weeks ago purely because of personal circumstance/childcare etc. At the time I couldn't see another solution. I had passed everything to date including the TDA skills tests. Since leaving I now realise what a huge mistake I have made and wished I had been informed of or offered an interruption. I know that I cannot restart the course this year but have students ever changed their withdrawal to an interruption? (Is that possible?) Or, is is just best to reapply.
    Thanks.

2. Dear James,
    Please can you give me some advice. I withdrew from my course a few weeks ago purely because of personal circumstance/childcare etc. At the time I couldn't see another solution. I had passed everything to date including the TDA skills tests. Since leaving I now realise what a huge mistake I have made and wished I had been informed of or offered an interruption. I know that I cannot restart the course this year but have students ever changed their withdrawal to an interruption? (Is that possible?) Or, is is just best to reapply.
    Thanks.

3. Get in touch with your uni/training provider straightaway and ask. It may still be possible for you to be reconsidered for a deferral/intercalation but that depends on them.

4. Hi
    If the withdrawal process is complete and signed off then it may not be possible to do anything other than re-apply. Clearly it is unfortunate that all avenues for you were not explored, e.g. iontermission/intercalation, but what is past is past. Talk to your tutor and ask for their advice on next steps. If the process is not complete and signed off there is still a chance, but given the timescale you have indicated then I suspect it is complete.
    Also do ask about how their allocations have changed. All providers were very recently told the numbers of trainees they could recruit for the coming year and many subjects have suffered significant cuts, this of course will increase the pressure on places.
    James

5. Thank you for your relpies. I have contacted the course leader who investigated on my behalf. I have now submitted an interruption form to the Head of ITE for their consideration. I think it is probably unlikely that it will be granted but I needed to try.

6. Just heard that they are going to change my withdrawal to an interruption. I'm so relieved to know i will be able to carry on next year.
    Thanks for your advice.

7. DRESSMAKER, could you please let me know how you arranged all the financial issues? Did you pay for the whole course this year and how you are going to pay next year?

8. The first term has been payed by a tuition fee loan which I will pay off in due course. I will pay the other two terms when I complete them next year, again with a tuition fee loan. It was quite straightforward.

9. Eva_Smith

Eva_Smith Established commenter

Congratulations! I hope it works out for you.

Eva xx