1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

P.E Teaching in Oz

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by yasimum, May 25, 2011.

1. yasimum

yasimum New commenter

How ludicrous. Of course it isn't. Maybe the ones you know, but there are many people who have no interest in sport. We may have larger participation numbers in junior sport but that is only becuase of the climate I would say.

Bazza, Happy Pixie is absolutely correct, you cannot 'convert' a working holiday visa into a residency. You must be out of the country to apply for a permanent visa and many people get caught with that rule.

2. It works for us. That 10-15% of chn who produce 'fantastic' pieces of writing has risen to over 40%. I'll continue to do text types.

3. Last one and my apologies to the OP. I hope we dont put you off going to Aus.
    So Yasimum... synthetic or analytical phonics? [​IMG]

4. yasimum

yasimum New commenter

Another piece of quantitative gibberish. Your evaluative criteria is whether a child has included, say for a persuasive piece of writing, an opening statement, three paragraphs or more of expansion of argument and a concluding statement all of which must include strong vocab, logical connectives, present tense and all manner of persuasive devices. BUT, is it really fantastic or does it just follow the conventions and so tick, tick, tick. A wonderfully persuasive piece of dribble.
    Synthetic or analytical phonics, doesn't matter. As long as your phojics programme is embedded into a literature programme together with a phomemic awareness approach which is one of the most neglected aspects of learning to decode, I won't say 'read'.
    Yes, I'm a heretic but I can only believe the evidence I see with my own eyes and feel with my soul over time.
    I too apologise OP but hopefully it keeps it at the top and someone will be able to help you more than I can.

5. yasimum

yasimum New commenter

And while I'm on a roll notyet, you say it works for you. It works for you because the curriculum has become so incredibly convoluted and crammed that children don't have the opportunity to be immersed in literature and become exposed repeatedly to many wonderful, magical pieces of writing which illuminate the various text types so they integrate them into their writing.
    It works for you because we don't allow time these days for children to indulge in the writing process. CHOOSING what they want to write, drafting. discussing with peers, discussing with children, performing and having a response and either publishing or going onto something they think will be better.
    My year 5/6 of 1992 were far more mature and imaginative writers than the children of equivalent age (much wealthier demographic today too so all the 'advantages' of pushy well educated parents) that I work with today. It makes my heart sad to see how our once excellent education system is going down the UK path of testing, publishing results of that VERY narrow testing and then having people's heads if their school isn't performing. So we will box these kids in and make bloody sure they don't embarrass us on the MySchool website.
    That's not education and Peter Garrett, you are one of the major disappointments in my life. I worshipped you and your stance on important issues through your music for all of my young adult life. If they got to you, what hope do we have!

6. yasimum

yasimum New commenter

Many spelling and grammar boo boos there my friends but I have a terrible flu and my daughter is lying in my bed raving on about goodness knows what as she has such a high temperature so I am a bit distracted.

7. Qualitatively speaking...they all love each other. Isn't that fantastic for one hour of English a day?
    Where's my clipboard? Chill out yasi!
    If you would like evidence send me your email.

8. yasimum

yasimum New commenter

Sorry notyet! It is a topic I tend to froth at the mouth about as I feel very strongly about the education system here and the way it isn't going. I don't need evidence. I'm sure that you are all getting what you expect and that is great for you (collective you). I'm just not sure the children are getting what they should. I'm talking of what I see happening here of course and I hear the same evidential claims-I just don't see it and feel it.

9. It's not collective I have my battles and demons too.

<font size="2">I have been
    teaching this group since they were 4-5, they are now 8-9, you know like in
    Finland where you teach the same group throughout primary.</font>

<font size="2">One day, way back then, the noise level was rising so I went to
    the cupboard to ask the Gruffalo for advice. I probably should have spoken to
    the mouse but anyway.....</font>

<font size="2">They argued incessantly in their 'simple' English whether the
    Gruffalo was in the cupboard or not until a consensus was reached that there
    was no Gruffalo. Marcos, although having seemingly accepted his classmates'
    logic, still wanted to know who I had been talking to.</font>

<font size="2">And what did I do then, tick boxes, of course. [​IMG]</font>

<font size="2">A year later when 'recounting' the situation they told me that
    they had sneaked into the room, which wasn't their classroom, to look in the
    cupboard.</font>

<font size="2">Aaaarggghhhh! The Gruffalo is coming!</font>
    <font size="2">Have a good day and forget Mr Midnight Oil, whatever the name of his group was. I can't remember. I quite like Malcom.</font>

10. Whose curriculum?
    They'll get there or maybe not I'm changing schools in Sept.
    I'm depressed. Is it too early for a drink?

11. yasimum

yasimum New commenter

Ah, but I am quite sure that you are much younger than I am and so you wouldn't have the same attachment to Midnight Oil asI do. Malcolm??? Please don't tell me Turnbull.

12. How about if I told you that I learnt to read with John and Betty and Fluff. What was the dog's name? Maybe that was a Victorian recommended text.
    You don't like Malcom? And Cheryl, did you like her?
    It's midday...I can have a drink, pre aperitivo.
    Un abrazo.[​IMG]

13. yasimum

yasimum New commenter

Un grande abraccio anche a te.

14. Depends on when funds allow - we think we are changing our plans a little and going to have an old persons backpacker experience now, so need to save up enough for a nice campervan (or - a lot more money than before lol) - if Hubby gets his way, Easter next year, if I get my way, by the end of the year - money is the big problem if you are moving lock, stock, if you are only WHVing it, you don't need as much (imho) - but we need enough to start a new life really, and we are old crumblies so need a certain level of comfort really :D

15. yasimum

yasimum New commenter

Stopwatch
    I wouldn't say your Aussie PE teacher is talking out of his **** as such. He is one of those sports nuts who thinks everyone must be the same. I definitely am not which is why I will not mention the fact that my footy team lost by a small margin yesterday and those bloody Queenslanders once again flogged my Blues in the the State of Origin. Shhhhhh!