1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

P.E. Assignment

Discussion in 'Physical education' started by Sally1418, Dec 12, 2011.

1. Sally1418

Sally1418 New commenter

I am currently doing my PGCE in Secondary History but take PE as my option subject. I have an assignment to complete which asks to:
    Choose any <u>two</u> teaching or policy matters in Games teaching, and critically discuss the current issues related to each one.
    I was wondering if anyone has any ideas on what teaching or policy matters I could include? I have discussed this with the teachers in the department and they have suggested I could choose matters such as P.E. kit; safety using equipment and developing literacy skills in PE.
    Any help or suggestion that anyone has would be kindly appreciated. Many thanks in advance.

2. Sally1418

Sally1418 New commenter

I am currently doing my PGCE in Secondary History but take PE as my option subject. I have an assignment to complete which asks to:
    Choose any <u>two</u> teaching or policy matters in Games teaching, and critically discuss the current issues related to each one.
    I was wondering if anyone has any ideas on what teaching or policy matters I could include? I have discussed this with the teachers in the department and they have suggested I could choose matters such as P.E. kit; safety using equipment and developing literacy skills in PE.
    Any help or suggestion that anyone has would be kindly appreciated. Many thanks in advance.

3. stopwatch

stopwatch Established commenter

Regardless of which you choose, I think the more difficult thing will be to find 'current issues related to each one'.
    Have you been any guidance on this part of the task? if not get some.

4. Sally1418

Sally1418 New commenter

Many thanks for your reply. That is the part I am having difficulty most with and I am finding it difficult what to read in terms of books/journals for more information around the subject. We haven't been given much guidance at all as this question was emailed to us during the first few weeks of our placement so our lecturers never went over what to include or how to go about it. I have emailed for help but was just wondering if anyone had any advice on here while I was waiting for a reply as the assignment is due to be handed in January.

5. stopwatch

Is this literally all they ahve given you (the title)?
    Have you got any explanation exactly what they expect you to do?
    Do they want you to literally look at a school policy on e.g. PE kit or Health and Safety in PE? Are you then supposed to discuss the implications of this with reference to current issues?
    I think you need to contact your lecturer again and say you need more detail and explanation of a) exactly what they want you to do and b) where to find current issues.
    If they haven't done so already, and are not responding to your requests then they aren't doing their job properly based on what you have said.
    By the way, if you want school/PE policies on kit or H&S I can send you one

6. Sally1418

Sally1418 New commenter

Many thanks for your reply. This is literally all they emailed to us, they sent us the question after we had started placement and it is due in the week we go back to University in January so I want to get it done over Christmas! In terms of if I should include matter such as PE kit, Health and Safety I emailed my lecturer who only responded by saying yes include infromation/issues like that - not exactly helpful!! I am just confused what books/journals I can use? It says on the question just to relate it to our findings in a school and with reference to our background reading - again not very helpful!

That would be great if you could send me that, very much much appreciaetd, many thanks in advance.

7. stopwatch

I have sent information to you via email.

8. Sally1418

Sally1418 New commenter

That's great I have emailed you back, thank you so much for the information, it has been very useful! Many thanks again.

9. Hi,

An obvious topic related to games teaching would be Michael Gove's agenda to promote competitive sport. There has been a lot of comment on this on the net (for example, my blog Talking Education and Sport: http://talkingeducationandsport.blogspot.com/), and most of the standard textbooks will have something on competition in PE.

Another issue might be obesity, and the role that sport can play. Most National Governing Bodies have responded to government pressure to increase levels of physical activity by introducing new forms of games (cricket is a good example fo this).

A third idea would be the rise of multi-skills as a practical alternative to fundamental movement skills. The youth sport trust site (http://www.youthsporttrust.org/) has some material on this.

All of these issues reflect a common bigger issue, which is 'what is the the point of games in PE?'

I hope these thoughts help a bit.

Richard
    http://talkingeducationandsport.blogspot.com/