1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

P&E 12 mark question help

Discussion in 'Religious Education' started by jetbur, Jan 29, 2011.

1. jetbur

jetbur New commenter

Would anyone have a very good example of how to answer a 12 mark qustion? Any topic would do. I would be very grateful.

Thank You
    Jetbur

2. Assuming you're meaning the OCR syllabus. There are sample responses on the OCR's website under "Support Materials" which should help a little. Although I am also stumped about what they want the students to write. I've got a reasonably high set and I'm making them write it almost like a b) type for AS level just because I'm paranoid! But I don't like having to hope for the best like this. Feel the students are going to be the one who lose out.

Hope this helps

Clareiclesx

3. I am doing loads of practice with my Yr 10s every lesson just about on 6 and 12 mark questions.
    I set it out like this .

I think
    I think this because....
    Christians would say ..... because they believe....
    Other Christians say.....
    The Bible says ....
    On the other hand another view is ....
    My gut Feeling is....
    In concusion I think....
    I use the GCSE RS text book for OCR John Mayled and Jill Oliphant ... some examples in the text book.
    J x

4. jetbur

jetbur New commenter

First many thanks Clareicles and Jessiejump for your replies.
    I have downloaded the marksheet comments and will use the writing frame to help my students from tomorrow.
    If anyone else has exams they wouldn't mind sharing I would be very grateful.

Many thanks again for your time.

5. poppy2004

poppy2004 New commenter

If you leave me your email address I will send you a writing frame recommended by some OCR staff at the recent exam feedback sessions...

6. durgamata

durgamata Occasional commenter

Being pedantic again but please take every opportunity to stress the different Christian view-points. I am sure you feel that you are doing this here but it would be better to put

start with what the Bible says and then

Some Christians might say ............... because they believe .................

Other Christians might say ............... because they believe ................

Also it is not difficult to clarify this further, especially with top sets by saying

Some Fundamentalist Christians would say ..................... because they view the Bible as the Word of God and tend to interpret it in a literal way while

Many liberal Christians would say ................. because they consider the Bible a historical document which needs historical insight and interpretation.

You can also bring in the Catholic perspective, mentioning anything that comes from the Pope, but again say 'some Catholics might' rather than 'Catholics would.'

The main thing is to stress the need for qualifying any religious statement with some, many might etc. If you keep banging on about it the kids soon get the idea. It becomes second nature for them and it really improves marks as well as being accurate.

7. jerseyperson

jerseyperson New commenter

I completely agree with Durgamata.
    I know an examiner who knows exactly how to get 12 marks out of 12 marks. He says it's about stressing denominational differences and also using counter arguments to undermine arguments, rather than just doing unrelated fors & againsts. Also, he says the own opinion should come at the end, have its own (fairly long) paragraph that also sets out how the student's views differ or are similar to those expressed elsewhere, to show the student has engaged with the religious teachings on a personal level. He also says students should bring in examples of issues in the news or on TV or film, as this helps to illustrate what can otherwise be pretty dry points.
    Hope this helps?

8. Any chance of getting a copy of the OCR writing frame? I would like to see if it bears any relation to mine!