1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Oxtail in SC anyone?

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by daffodilval, Nov 7, 2010.

1. I bought a whole oxtail off my butcher (he chopped it up) with the intentions of cooking it in my SC,
    Tips anyone?
    Thanks
    PS i bought a bottle of Guinness too.

2. I bought a whole oxtail off my butcher (he chopped it up) with the intentions of cooking it in my SC,
    Tips anyone?
    Thanks
    PS i bought a bottle of Guinness too.

3. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

I'd vindaloo it- have posted the recipe on here before if you fancy a try.

4. Si N. Tiffick

Si's proper Goan Vindaloo
    1 teaspoon of cardamom seeds- if you can't find them then split pods and remove seeds
    1 teaspoon black peppercorns
    1 stick cinnamon
    2 teaspoons whole cumin seeds
    1.5 teaspoons whole black mustard seeds
    1 teaspoon whole fenugreek seeds
    1 tablespoon ground coriander seed
    1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
    2 teaspoons salt
    oil
    about 5-6 tablespoons vinegar- white wine or cider
    3-4 whole dried red chillis
    chopped ginger- about a thumb and a half, if you knwo what I mean!
    a whole head of garlic. cloves peeled
    1 teaspoon brown sugar
    2 large onions, sliced into really thin semi circles
    about 1/2 pint water
    meat- traditionally in Goa this would be pork- shoulder or leg, diced, but Dad often uses oxtail and I can vouch for its yumminess. For pork, a couple of lbs, for oxtail a couple of tails, jointed.

Method:
    -Use a spice mill (or mortar and pestle!) to grind up the cumin, chillis, pepper, cinnamon, mustard seeds, fenugreek, cardamom. Put it in a bowl and mix in the salt, sugar and vinegar. Keep for later.
    -Fry the onions, until crisp and well browned, stirring to make sure they don't catch. Bung the onions in a food processor, add a bit of water (just a couple of tablespoons should do it) and whizz. Mix this with the vinegary spices to make the masala paste.
    -Whizz the garlic and ginger with a wee drop of water to loosen as before.
    -Brown the meat, a couple of chunks at a time, and set aside.
    -Cook off the garlic and ginger- make sure you keep your face away as it may try to blind you when it hits the karhai! Add the turmeric and coriander powder, stir and cook.
    -Bung in the meat and the vindaloo paste. Add water, cover tightly and simmer for an hour plus, or until meat tender. If using oxtail, obviously this will be more like 2 hours, or even more. Dad uses the pressure cooker to reduce the cooking time. You'll need to stir the sauce a few times during the cooking time.
    *If you've got sauce left, you can heat the sauce, reduce it to a bare simmer and drop eggs into the sauce. Resist the temptation to stir until the eggs are fully cooked! Another way to stretch it is to pop some peeled potatoes in with the oxtail. They soak up the flavours and will not disintegrate, no matter how long they're simmered for. My son likes to eat the potatoes only as they're milder than the meat and his 7 year old Scottish tastebuds aren't up ot the job yet!
    We eat this with chapattis, mum eats it with rice. Either way, it's very yummy.
    N.B. this is ferociously hot. If you are not used to Goan cooking you may want to reduce the chilli content, though this may unbalance the vinegar, I'm not sure. Haven't tried.

5. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

Thjat's a nold step for somone new to oxtail to take, Si.
    Few cooks wouldn't drooll at the prospect of a whole oxtail. It's a feast, and it's as simple to cook as a bagful of other simple things to cook. Just a long slow stew so the meat is tender and the bones do their stuff for thhe gravy. Onions, carrots and celery. Serve with duimplings. Thicken the gravy and eat the day afe
    r you cook it.

6. Thanks for the recipe, but i was thinking more of a stew
    (btw, it only cost me £3 for well over a kg)
    Would be ok to put it on low tonight and have it carry on cooking till I am home tomorrow about 5pm?
    Can I 'over' cook it?
    thanks

7. Pobble, I didn't like it (but the dog did)
    Far too messy too eat and very strong flavour, still, at least I tried it..

8. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Mr M will love it, then!
    Thanks, Si - I'll give this a bash over the holidays with pork (he doesn't like oxtail) as a surprise. Have never cooked my own curry from scratch, so he'll be astounded. [​IMG]

9. Si N. Tiffick

It's delish, you'll enjoy it. Normally it's pork shoulder we use. If you want more curry recipes after this one (maybe tamer ones!), give me a shout.

10. SHOUT!
    I love cooking curries.

11. anon468

anon468 New commenter

How did you know I was going to ask you that? [​IMG]
    I really want to get into cooking my own curries, as we love them so much. I like dhansak, dopiaza and dhal (anything with lentils & chickpeas works for me). Mr M loves vindaloo and his current favourite (courtesy of the sublime Villa Spice) is special bhuna gosht.
    All recipies most gratefully received, Si! You're a gem.

12. Si N. Tiffick

Here's one for lamb do piaza and one for saag gosht, I'll type up a daal later on:
    <font size="2" face="Arial">Lamb do piaza (Lamb and double onions)</font><font size="2" face="Arial"></font><font size="2" face="Arial">for 6ish:</font><font size="2" face="Arial">4 good sized onions, peeled</font><font size="2" face="Arial">7 cloves garlic, peeled</font><font size="2" face="Arial">an inch of ginger, coarsely chopped</font><font size="2" face="Arial">3/4 pint water</font><font size="2" face="Arial">oil</font><font size="2" face="Arial">an inch of cinnamon</font><font size="2" face="Arial">10 cardamom pods</font><font size="2" face="Arial">10 cloves</font><font size="2" face="Arial">1.5 lb bones lamb (preferably shoulder) in 1 inch cubes, fat removed</font><font size="2" face="Arial">1 tablespoon ground coriander</font><font size="2" face="Arial">2 tsp ground cumin</font><font size="2" face="Arial">6 tablespoons plain yogurt (Total 0% fat fine)</font><font size="2" face="Arial">1/4 to 1/2 tsp cayenne</font><font size="2" face="Arial">1 tsp salt</font><font size="2" face="Arial">1/2 tsp garam masala</font><font size="2" face="Arial"></font><font size="2" face="Arial">-Cut 3 of the onions into halves, then cut into paper thin half moons. Chop the fourth onion finely. Keep the 2 piles separate</font><font size="2" face="Arial">- Blend the garlic and ginger with 100ml of water until smooth</font><font size="2" face="Arial">-Heat oil, add sliced onions. Stir fry for 10-12 mins. They should be deeply coloured. Remove onions to kitchen paper to drain.</font><font size="2" face="Arial">-Put cinnamon, cardamom and cloves into hot oil and stir fry for a few secs til fragrant. Add 8-10 cubes of meat at a time and brown all over- remove to a bowl.</font><font size="2" face="Arial">-Add chopped onion into remaining oil. Stir fry on medium heat until brwned. Add masala paste. Stir fry until liquid gone. Add coriander and cumin, stir for a min. Add 1 tbs on yogurt, stir until incorporated. Repeat until all yogurt in.</font><font size="2" face="Arial">-Add meat and juices, rest of water, cayenne, salyt. Simmer for ~45 mins to an hour.</font><font size="2" face="Arial">-Add fried onions and garam masala. Cook uncovered for a few mins, stirring. Leave pan to sit for a while so that you can skim off the fat.</font><font size="2" face="Arial"></font><font size="2" face="Arial"></font><font size="2" face="Arial">Saag Gosht (lamb and spinach)</font><font size="2" face="Arial"></font><font size="2" face="Arial">for about 6ish:</font><font size="2" face="Arial"></font><font size="2" face="Arial">oil</font><font size="2" face="Arial">1/4 tsp black peppercorns</font><font size="2" face="Arial">6 cloves</font><font size="2" face="Arial">2 bay leaves</font><font size="2" face="Arial">6 cardamom pods</font><font size="2" face="Arial">a big onion, peeled and finely chopped</font><font size="2" face="Arial">8 garlic cloves</font><font size="2" face="Arial">and inch of ginger, finely chopped</font><font size="2" face="Arial">2lb boned shoulder of lamb, in 1 inch cubes</font><font size="2" face="Arial">2 tsp ground cumin</font><font size="2" face="Arial">1 tsp ground coriander</font><font size="2" face="Arial">1/4- 3/4 tsp cayenne</font><font size="2" face="Arial">2 tsp salt</font><font size="2" face="Arial">5 tbs plain yogurt (total 0% fine)</font><font size="2" face="Arial">2lb fresh spinach, washed, trimmeed and finely chopped</font><font size="2" face="Arial">1/4 tsp garam masala</font><font size="2" face="Arial"></font><font size="2" face="Arial">-heat oil and put in pepper, cloves, bay, cardamom. Stir for a few secs then add onions, garlic, ginger. Cook until onions browning. </font><font size="2" face="Arial">-Add meat, cumin, coriander, cayenne and 1 tsp of the salt. Stir fry for a few mins until meat browned.</font><font size="2" face="Arial">-Add yogurt 1 tbs at a time (faster and it will curdle).</font><font size="2" face="Arial">-Add spinach and remaining salt. Stir and cook until spinach wilted.</font><font size="2" face="Arial">-Cover tightly and simmer for about 1 1/4 hrs.</font><font size="2" face="Arial">-Remove lid and add garam masala. Stir and cook for ~5 mins or until most of the water disappears and you ave a thick green sauce.</font>

13. Si N. Tiffick

Aargh- why does TES do that to formatting sometimes? C&P into Word, that might sort it out. Sorry.

14. Si N. Tiffick

And here's one my mum uses a lot- originally a Madhur Jaffrey one, I think:
    <font size="2" face="Arial">GOAN STYLE CHICKEN WITH COCONUT</font><font size="2" face="Arial"></font><font size="2" face="Arial">INGREDIENTS:</font><font size="2" face="Arial">1.5 tbs whole coriander seed*</font><font size="2" face="Arial">1.5 tsp whole cumin seed*</font><font size="2" face="Arial">1 tsp whole black mustard seed*</font><font size="2" face="Arial">1 inch cinnamon, broken up*</font><font size="2" face="Arial">4 cloves*</font><font size="2" face="Arial">0.25 tsp whole black peppercorns*</font><font size="2" face="Arial">1/6th nutmeg*</font><font size="2" face="Arial">1 whole dried red chilli*</font><font size="2" face="Arial">15 fl oz/ 425ml grated coconut </font><font size="2" face="Arial">6-8 cloves garlic</font><font size="2" face="Arial"> 1 inch ginger, chopped</font><font size="2" face="Arial">0.5- 1 green chilli</font><font size="2" face="Arial">4 tbs plus 1/2 pint water</font><font size="2" face="Arial">veg oil</font><font size="2" face="Arial">6 oz onions, peeled and chopped</font><font size="2" face="Arial">1 kg/ 2.25 lb chicken, jointed and skinned</font><font size="2" face="Arial"> 1.5 tsp salt</font><font size="2" face="Arial"></font><font size="2" face="Arial">METHOD</font><font size="2" face="Arial"></font><font size="2" face="Arial">-Dry roast ingredients marked * in a frying pan, then grind and set aside</font><font size="2" face="Arial">-Dry roast coconut, stirring. Set aside</font><font size="2" face="Arial">-Blend the garlic, ginger and green chilli with the 4 tbs water.</font><font size="2" face="Arial">-Heat oil, fry onions intil beginning to brown.</font><font size="2" face="Arial">-Add masala paste, stir, turn heat down.</font><font size="2" face="Arial">-Add chicken, salt, spices, coconut. Stir and fry for 3-4 mins</font><font size="2" face="Arial">-Add water, turn heat to low, cover and cook for 25-30 mins, stirring a few times during cooking.</font>

15. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Thanks so much, Si. We'll be having a curry fest this holiday!! [​IMG]

16. Si N. Tiffick

Channa (chickpeas)
    1lb dried chickpeas, soaked and cooked until tender
    2 bay leaves
    6 cardamom pods
    2 sticks cinnamon (or 1 big one)
    a thumb of ginger, grated
    2 onions, chopped
    4 cloves garlic, squished
    1 tbs coriander seed, roasted and ground
    2 tbs cumin seed, roasted and ground (in 2 separate piles)
    8 tbs natural yogurt (0% fat greek is fine)
    1/2 tin tomatoes, blitzed to a pulp
    2 1/2 tsp salt
    2 tsp garam masala
    1/4 to 1/2 tsp cayenne
    1 1/2 tsp ground amchoor (green mango powder)
    handful coriander leaf, chopped
    Method:
    Heat oil, add bay, cinnamon, cardamom, stir fry for a few secs til fragrant, then add onion and stir fry until browned. Add ginger and garlic, stir for another min, add 1 tbs of the cumin and the coriander.
    add the yogurt, one tbs at a time (don't go faster or it'll curdle), stirring to incorporate before adding another tbs. Add tomatoes, cook fora few mins.
    Add the chickpeas and about a litre of water (can use the chickpea cooking liquor). Add the salt, garam masala, amchoor, the rest of the cumin, and cayenne, stir and simmer gently, without a lid for 15-20 mins.
    Add the coriander leaf just before serving.

17. Si N. Tiffick

Dhansak
    This is really a veggie dish, but you could add chicken or whatever.
    2oz massoor dhal (split red lentils)*
    2 oz moong daal (split mung beans)*
    2 oz toovar daal (split pigeon peas)*
    2 cloves garlic, squished
    a thumb of ginger, grated
    1 1/2 tbs coriander seed, $
    1 stick cinnamon, broken roughly$
    1/4 tsp cardamom seeds (if you cna't get these, just open the pods and shake out what you need)
    3-6 dried red chillies$
    2 tsp cumin seed $
    1/2 tsp black peppercorns$
    big pinch fenugreek seeds$
    1 tsp ground turmeric
    1/2 aubergine, peeled and cut into largish dice*
    1/4 butternut or similar amount pumpkin, largish dice*
    1 onion, chopped
    1 can chopped tomatoes
    oil
    2 tsp salt
    1 tbs tamarind pulp(can use lemon juice if none)
    1 tsp sugar, preferably brown
    few stems coriander leaf, chopped, plus extra to serve*
    1 green chilli, sliced finely
    an onion, sliced finely and fried til crispy
    Method:
    Put ingredients marked * in a pan with about a litre of water and bring to boil. Skim off the scum, cover loosely, simmer for 3/4 hr.
    Whizz ginger, garlic and 3-4 tbs water to make masala paste.
    Dry roast the spices marked $ and grind. Set aside.
    Fry chopped onion until brown, add masala paste (be careful, it'll spit!), stir. ADd spicesand tomatoes, stir and keep cooking. Add about 1/4 litre water and simmer for 10 mins.
    Add the pulses, salt, tamarind, sugar, stir very gently so as not to break up the daal. Cook with lid on loosley for 20 mins then mix thoroughly.
    Serve with the sliced green chilli, chopped coriander and crispy onions on top, with chapattis.

18. Si N. Tiffick

Enjoy!

19. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Thanks to you, we will indeed! [​IMG]