1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Oxford Reading Tree - Help!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by fpno@another.com, Oct 8, 2018.

1. fpno@another.com

fpno@another.com New commenter

Hi all,

I am at a school in the Middle East, low budget, very low literacy. I want to introduce ORT or a similar reading programme.

Thinking about catering for Year 1-6. Currently, have about 150 students. I would be surprised if any of the students were beyond stage 8 in reading.

If you were in my situation, how many books would you buy and for what stages? Please appreciate that none of the teachers are UK trained and have little or no appreciation of guided reading policies or schemes. I am aware that there are other reading schemes but want to stick to what would be available second hand if possible.

Thank you in advance for your help,

Farid

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

You'd need more 'duplicates' of the early stages as more children will be at a similar stage. Most schools I've worked in have at least 3 copies of the first 3 stages and 2 of the later ones, so with several books at the same level there's nearly always one book the children can move onto. However even then we had some problems finding a book at the correct level for some children.

In your case you may find that being a second language you also have lots of children at a similar stage in the 'higher levels' too, so you might need to figure that in.

By the by there's a certain 'book catalogue people' (I could message you the name) who often do sell brand new ORT sets at very reasonable prices.
    They currently have
    Read with Biff, Chip and Kipper Levels 1-3 33 books £19.99 (RRP £163.67)
    Read with Biff, Chip and Kipper Levels 4-6 Collection of 25 books for £17.99 (RRP £123.75.)

fpno@another.com likes this.
  3. Waiguoren

Waiguoren Occasional commenter

Perhaps I can offer some assistance? And if won't cost you a penny.
    https://www.oxfordowl.com has most of the ORT books, as well as many others. Read online for free. Also includes comprehension and spelling games to accompany the books. An excellent resource.

Also, readtheory.org. Just brilliant. Register your children for accounts, self-working comprehension tests. With a teachers account you can monitor their progress.

Both of these websites are 100% free.

fpno@another.com and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  4. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

oxford owl is subscription for schools

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  5. Lara mfl 05

That was my thought too, though it may be worth the OP looking at the cost of a subscription if the books are yo be used within the whole of Jun. School.

6. Waiguoren

Waiguoren Occasional commenter

My mistake. Isn't it possible to read the books on Oxford owl for free?

7. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I wouldn't buy Oxford Reading Tree in a million years!
    There are far better schemes out there for those at the very early stages of decoding.
    After that, real books are far better than scheme ones.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  8. dreamweaverplusactor

dreamweaverplusactor New commenter

What schemes are better caterpillartobutterfly?

9. caterpillartobutterfly

Decodable ones.

studentcrisis and CarrieV like this.
  10. dreamweaverplusactor

dreamweaverplusactor New commenter

I wasn't being sarcastic; I'm looking at getting new books for KS1 and if there are better ones out there than ORT then I'd like to have a look at them.

11. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

12. caterpillartobutterfly

Almost any other scheme is better tha ORT...in my very personal opinion based only on my own experience. No research at all.

That's all the OP has to do!

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  13. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

@caterpillartobutterfly I agree, can't stand Biff and Chip though the kids don't seem to mind. I don't think the stories would be helpful for EAL children. when I was overseas many moons ago we had One Two Three and Away with stories about Roger Red Hat, Billy Blue Hat.............drove me nuts.

14. Lara mfl 05

Those books were my (and my son's) pet hate when he was at school learning to read. :(