1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Oxford Reading Tree help please

Discussion in 'Scotland - Primary' started by polmac, Nov 15, 2016.

1. polmac

polmac New commenter

We have just decided to use some ORT biff, Chip and Kipper stories with our really poor P2 class. However I am completely confused as some packs of books contain 4 red a yellow and a blue level. Should these still be split into the appropriate bands? Also can anyone tell me if the bands on ORT books are the same as the other book bands eg Rigby Star etc? I am confused because The Go Kart is labelled as yellow level yet on Oxford Owl it is classed as Red.level.
    Many thanks in advance

2. bonxie

bonxie Senior commenter

We don't have any Rigby Star so I can't help you on that one but when we book banded all of our books, we found the same problem with the ORT books being split over more than one band. We just decided to put the individual titles into the bands they were labelled with (unless they formed part of a series of stories which need to be read in the correct order). We used the book banding book to decide where to put books which weren't from schemes. Any books we weren't sure where to put we just put where they seemed to fit best. We've only needed to relabel a handful of books over the last few years.There are various documents here on TES, produced by people who use book bands in their schools, which list where they have put which set. Sorting the books into book bands took us a while but the improvement across the school in the children's reading ages has been marked so it was well worth it.