1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Oxford Reading Tree - driving me to distraction!!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by naomi58, Nov 23, 2011.

1. naomi58

naomi58 New commenter

I can only speak for my own school and share our experiences. I teach Y4 and all my readers, including my level 4s are still on the scheme, but we have a vast range of books right up to band 16. These books are much harder than a lot of the books we have in our Library and ensure that the children can access challenging poetry, modern and classic fiction, and non-fiction texts. We know that children will read their favourite authors anyway, so the books we provide encourage more variety and experimentation. We used to have free readers by the end of Y2 and in Y3, but some of the books they were reading discussed issues that were far too mature for them. There was no way we could possibly monitor the content of all the books that were available to them. Keeping to the scheme until at least Y5 helps to ensure I don't get irate parents coming to me about the content of the latest Jacqueline Wilson novel I sent home with an 8 year old! But, children are not expected to read all of the books in each level! We have over 80 titles for each band, so they would never progress!

2. From this though, I presume you mean you have 'real books', that are 'banded' by ability level? If so, I would say that's completely different from using a single scheme, such as ORT, which many schools seem to do. I would say the former is fine, but the latter leads to an impoverished reading experience for many children.

3. dc521

dc521 New commenter

This is the advice my school uses (I wrote it and know it's the best way to manage the ORT scheme)
    If a child appears to read the stage book well, copes well with questions about the text then consider moving on.
    A very simple test we do is to use the next stage, borrow a book from it and see if a child is 'OK' to read it.
    I do insist that for any stage in the scheme, staff choose a book from a set first set. Then it's free choice from within the stage (God help anyone who doesn't touch a non-fiction book as I will have the biggest hissy fit known to man).
    ORT and any scheme is great for supporting reading, especially those who are poor readers. With children who can read, I expect them to move on quickly.

4. naomi58

naomi58 New commenter

Yes, sorry! Got a mixture of loads of schemes, OUP, Ginn, Big Cat, Rockets, Comix, Graffix, Cambridge, Heinemann, etc. It was an absolute nightmare levelling everything, but totally worth it. Made a massive impact on reading (enjoyment and attitude and achievement). Oh, and I spent a small fortune! The reps will all be having a very merry Christmas!

5. My eldest daughter was still on stage 1 of the ORT at the end of Reception. By the end of Y2 she was levelled as a 3c and was a free reader. There is no way she would have progressed that well if she'd had to read every single book in every level. Luckily she had a very wise Y1 teacher who saw her potential and had the confidence to jump a couple of stages as she saw fit and who also allowed her to change her books when she was ready, rather than twice a week when it suited the Yr R class teacher. Sadly some teachers do what's easiest for them when it comes to reading rather than what is best for the child.

6. I can't stand the Oxford Reading Tree scheme. It very nearly put my daughter off reading. I used to sign my son's book to say he'd read it (he was reading books way beyond the level he was on so had no problem with reading) but my daughter won't let me do this and insists on reading them all. A lot of them are SO BORING! I have spent a fortune on books just to get my daughter back into reading and am happy to say she now enjoys reading again. I think it is ridiculous that many schools/parents see reading schemes as getting through this and onto the next level. What on earth are we teaching kids? Just get through the pain barrier and then you can choose a book you would like to read?!!

7. You mean Floppy, Biff and Kipper don't float your boat?!!!!!

8. upsadaisy

upsadaisy New commenter

My school has done the same thing for the children who reach free reader in year 2 and 3. We have now got up to band 17 (Diamond). We were struggling to provide texts that weren't too mature in term of content, but were still high interest. We are awaiting the Band 18.

9. upsadaisy

upsadaisy New commenter

Are you saying you don't wish they'd lose that magic key forever?

10. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

It stopped working at one point didn't it, but then seemed to recover? A bit like in a thriller when the baddie appears dead but then suddenly leaps back to life. But however I don't really know. Been through a lot of those books twice at least but never really understood the stories myself. They went in one eye and out of the other. I'd still be condemned to stage 1 for poor comprehension and memory, and an inability to recount the story despite many readings.
    I also have a major comprehension problem with most "newer" i.e. post 1950 children's books!! But give me some Dickens to get stuck into and I'm fine.

But back to stage 10 ORT - I don't think Biff and Chip get involved there do they? It's more books about things like the house being broken into a night, and drowning isn't it? Pleasant things to read before bedtime for the newly independent reader?