1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Oxford Reading Tree book bands

Discussion in 'Primary' started by sam1999, Sep 30, 2007.

1. I'm trying to level my kids for September assessment
    I've assessed how many high frequency words they know, how many letter sounds they recognise, their reading age and which book level of ORT they are on.
    I'm trying to put this info together (with comments from hearing them read as this is all 'decoding' info) to give them a NC level.
    My actual question is... do ORT 'bands' match with book banding? I've found info in resources on which book band colour roughly links to NC level, can I use this for a guide.
    Sorry for long post-I hope it makes sense and someone can help!

2. I'm trying to level my kids for September assessment
    I've assessed how many high frequency words they know, how many letter sounds they recognise, their reading age and which book level of ORT they are on.
    I'm trying to put this info together (with comments from hearing them read as this is all 'decoding' info) to give them a NC level.
    My actual question is... do ORT 'bands' match with book banding? I've found info in resources on which book band colour roughly links to NC level, can I use this for a guide.
    Sorry for long post-I hope it makes sense and someone can help!

3. they don't exactly match up, like ort 4 is not a book band 4 if thats what you mean... hang on a minute I am looking for something for you..

4. that is what I was wondering - Thank you!!

5. ok, I have the sheets of ort books with their book bands, if you want it... email me
    peeceee@btinternet.com

6. just emailed - thank you so much

7. M_B

M_B

8. Coincidentally I found these by googling earlier this afternoon. There's a pdf version here:

http://www.oup.com/oxed/pdf/ORT_bookbands.pdf

The lower levels sort of match up, but as you go above book band 5/6 the ORT books spread across as many as 4 bands. Confusing! In my new school the books are ORT banded, which is all very well until you want to use anything else - hence my search.

9. thats the same one I have so you guys can download it from there,,,thanks!

10. Does anyone have a list of the book bands for New Ginn 360?
    Janny

11. I would like that too!
    Why aren't publishers sensible like Oxford are now and put the colours on the books themselves!

12. It's certainly a good idea, isn't it?
    I've been spending a lot of time trying to put our books into bands. It's taking forever!
    NB Can't say I'm overly impressed with ORT, though- I couldn't find a lit of their books sorted into the colours/birds names. It was someone on TES who helped with that, not ORT.
    Mark

13. 1. Why are threads being resurrected from *4 years* ago?! (Maybe by searches for old information I suppose - so fair enough.)
    2. ORT do now print book band colours on the books, and have done so for quite a while.
    3. I have no connection with ORT, other than using their resources, but I think their current resources are amazing (I was a bit confused with the 'bird names' bit at first, but now remember that there are owls etc - though those are I think rather old resources now?)
    If you think you don't like OUP - try this out and you might just change your mind:
    http://www.oxfordschoolimprovement.co.uk/resources/index/free