1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

oxford history pgce - moving with family

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by lighthousekeeper, Jan 29, 2011.

1. hi. i've just been offered a place on the 2011 oxford history pgce course - hurrah. but it means moving to oxford with my husband and two primary-aged children for the year. is anyone, or has anyone else on here been in this position? and if so, do you have any advice for me on finding accommodation / schools / financial support? it's all very scary.

2. hi. i've just been offered a place on the 2011 oxford history pgce course - hurrah. but it means moving to oxford with my husband and two primary-aged children for the year. is anyone, or has anyone else on here been in this position? and if so, do you have any advice for me on finding accommodation / schools / financial support? it's all very scary.

3. Hi.
    Will you be studying at brookes or Oxford uni?
    I'm from Oxford originally and can tell you that generally it's very expensive. It depends really how far you are prepared to commute each day to get to uni as areas such as Abingdon and Didcot are cheaper and subsequently worth the commute.
    There are less desirable areas of Oxford too which you might want to stay away from considering your children...
    If you have any questions, feel free to email me: sarahocfc@me.com and I'll see if I can help... X

4. Thanks for your reply, Sarah. I'm going to be at the University, and I don't drive, so am keen not to be too far out of Oxford. The whole thing is a bit of a logistical nightmare: can't apply to primary schools without housing sorted; don't know where to look for housing because of primary schools etc. Do you have any advice about what schools are good and not too scary? We're moving from a tiny island, and my children are used to a school with only 6 other pupils in!
    Best wishes from Rachel

5. Hi Rachel.
    I'm just trying to think where the education faculty is for Oxford university. I guess you'll be looking for state schools? North Oxford probably offers you the 'best' state schools.
    If you can tell me where the faculty is, then I can start looking into it for you.
    Shall we continue this conversation via email as I don't want to say something about a particular school or area and then end up offending someone.
    I'll be starting at Brookes in September.
    Sarah

6. Rachel
    Can I suggest you also try asking on Mumsnet- they are really good there for advice about schools and areas to live - there are loads of Mumsnetters in Oxford.