1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Oxford Brookes interview preparation

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by Kennedy84, May 19, 2011.

1. I have been invited to interview at Oxford Brookes next Thursday for Music secondary, and one of the tasks is to devise a simple piano accompaniment given a short diatonic melody. We?ll have time to prepare (doesn?t say how much), so it?s not improvised but could anyone give me any tips on how to prepare for this part of the interview? I?ve never been any good at improvisation, and I?ve always avoided composition as much as possible so I have no idea at all how to approach this kind of task. Any suggestions?
    thanks!

2. Thanks! that's really helpful, and has put my mind at ease quite a bit :) Piano is my first instrument so I should be able to think of something.

I'll let you know how it goes :) are you from the area, or moving specially for the course?

3. Hiya, me again, I don't suppose you could tell me what the analysis test was like- the one where you are given musical extracts then asked to identify and explain its features? It seems pretty broad, and what with a full time job + other commitments I'm not going to have time to revise too many musical genres. Do you think it is something I will be able to have a stab at using my general musical knowledge and a bit of brushing up (I graduated in 2006, so some of my knowledge is a little rusty).

My other interviews really weren't bothered about getting me to prove my knowledge, so although I feel prepared on the performance and educational issues side of things, this is the stuff I'm not so hot with!

4. Hi, the ones I given were very varied and I graduated from my masters in 2005 so it's been a while since I was expected to analyse anything. I managed to find one out of the three that was ok. It might be worth having a look at the GCSE bitesize revision pages for Music as that will tell you what sorts of genres and things are studied at GCSE and might help jog your memory on those types of things. I'm moving for the course. Probably going to be living around Newbury as it will be closer than where I currently live and nearer my other half's work. When is your interview?

5. Thanks that's helpful. Yes, I've been using the BBC bitesize stuff a bit to prepare for interviews. I've also spent a week in a school recently so will be using a few ideas from that.

My interview is on Thursday, and I only got the call Thursday just gone, so it's quite quick compared to the others which I've had a month + to prepare in. But I guess I am already quite well prepared, and at least it will give me some closure! I live in London at the minute and I am on the reserve list for Middlesex, so if I don't get in to OB at least I will know I am definitely in London for a while.

6. Hi! Had my interview on Thursday and was verbally offered a place. Just waiting for the formal offer to come through, whilst deciding whether I want to accept (I think I do, but I am having major cold feet about leaving everything here behind)!

Do you know anyone else who has been offered a place.

7. Congratulations! That's fab. How did you get on at the interview? Do you think you would rather stay where you are and hope to get a place at Middlesex was it? Would you have to move to go to Oxford Brookes? I don't know anyone else no. I have put out a message on here but not one has replied.

8. Keep me posted! If ou do decide to come then it will be good to have someone to chat to in the lead up to the course and know on the first day! x

9. Thanks, will do! I have had my official letter etc. through now, pretty sure I am going to accept. I have a secondary school placement at the beginning of next week, so just going to get through that to make sure it really is the right path for me :) I've also got to arrange a primary school placement, so hopefully I can get that done as it's one of the conditions of my offer.

10. Hi!

I've just gone ahead and accepted the offer :) I'm really excited, and looking forward to starting! I wonder, have you got any tips for learning to improvise/busk on the piano? It is my main instrument, but I've never been great at this!

11. Yay! Very exciting. My name's Danni so you know who I am in September! I'm rubbish at piano so I wouldn't ask me! I did my grade 6 about 10 years ago and then had piano lessons this year to try and learn how to put chordal accompaniments to standard pop pieces but I'm really slow and hoping that I won't have to do it too much and will have time to prepare if I do. My teacher has been teaching me a running quaver bass line using 1st and 5th of the chord and splitting the chord between the left and right hand with the tune in the right hand too. All very confusing for me as my main instrument is saxophone! I have 3 days primary observation coming up next week as they wanted me to do that but thought I already had enough secondary experience. They want a 1500 word essay on things picked up from the experiences which is fine except I'm not sure I asked the relevant questions at the secondary schools as it was before I knew what to ask! I've read one of the three set books for the course and the second one should be in the post on it's way to me. I'm confused about the third one as there is a student book but also a teacher's resource pack and a CD and in total they come to about £160! So where is your Music degree from? Mine's Southampton but graduated in 2004 and then did a masters there too in 2005 so it's been a while since I was at uni as a student though I work in admin at the uni at the moment so am still around students!

12. Thinking about it we should probably message each other rather than using the forum. Not sure how to do it. Any ideas?