1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Oxford and the Rhodes statue

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lanokia, Dec 18, 2015.

?

What should Oriel College do with the Rhodes statue?

1. Leave it in place

16 vote(s)
    57.1%
  2. Add educational material

10 vote(s)
    35.7%
  3. Remove entirely

2 vote(s)
    7.1%
  4. Other which I will outline below

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Oriel College Oxford is considering bowing to pressure from protestors to remove the statue of Cecil Rhodes from the present site.

Indeed so offensive is the statue that the BBC didn't have a picture of it... so I had to Google it, GCHQ are onto me now...
    [​IMG]

The Beeb's article:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-35123199

An Oxford college is considering removing a statue of the 19th Century politician, Cecil Rhodes, in response to a student anti-racism campaign.

Protesters have argued that the views of the colonial politician are incompatible with an "inclusive culture" at the university.

Oriel College says it will consult on the statue's future - and has decided to remove a plaque to Rhodes.

The college says it does not "condone his racist views or actions".

Global campaign
    The campaign to remove the Oxford statue follows a university protest in South Africa.

A statue of Cecil Rhodes was attacked and then ultimately taken down at the University of Cape Town, after being identified by protesters as a symbol of a colonial, pre-apartheid era.

Rhodes had been a strong advocate of colonial power in Africa.

So are we whitewashing history? Does the statue just need some context [educational material for people whose smartphone has stopped working]? Or damn them all, keep the fellow where he is?

Personally... I say keep it. I don't condone his actions or beliefs but if we go through History erasing every thing that jars with our modern sensibilities then... there is no point to History.

cissy3 likes this.
  2. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

Yes
    Yes

Yes

Sillow, cissy3 and aspensquiver like this.
  3. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

I think history should always be reported and recorded accurately else we can't learn properly from it. For that reason I voted to keep it there but add educational information.

Sillow and aspensquiver like this.
  4. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

Agree with RQ.

5. By_the_Shiny_Brook

By_the_Shiny_Brook Established commenter

What utter nonsense.

These Oxford wets need their heads seeing to.

Thankfully Cambridge students have more mettle. Not one Trinity student (to my knowledge) has requested that their founder's (Henry VIII) statue be removed.

6. Didactylos4

I'm surprised the "PC gone mad" crew haven't been more vocal about this

that was probably a bad thing to mention :eek:

cissy3 and RedQuilt like this.
  7. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Just to flesh things out a bit...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-32131829

Protesters in South Africa are calling for a statue of Cecil Rhodes, one of the most committed imperialists of the 19th Century, to be taken down. Why does he still inspire such strong feelings?

Cecil Rhodes's statue on the steps of the University of Cape Town has now been boarded up. The university will soon make a final decision on the statue's fate.

The students calling for its removal have already attacked it. The tag #RhodesMustFall has been tweeted many times.

Rhodes was an imperialist, businessman and politician who played a dominant role in southern Africa in the late 19th Century, driving the annexation of vast swathes of land.

Please note, I only copy and pasted the first bit of the article... it goes on further.

8. Didactylos4

Yes I expect it does....

aspensquiver likes this.
  9. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

We do have a thread about a laptop gone mad.

Didactylos4 likes this.
  10. Didactylos4

There really should be a way to add more likes for a spectacular response Duke

11. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

History's never objective or fair or complete or closed. But nor does it belong to whatever authoritarian or flapping rabble of grievance mongers decides they have sole custody of it either.

12. ninenotes

ninenotes Senior commenter

Oriel College Oxford has an inclusive culture, does it?

Do these "protestors" have any idea of the real world?

13. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I suspect these 'protestors' need more course time...

Ah face it, some people go to Uni to study, some to drink and some to protest, for causes just and silly. To my mind, this is one of the silly ones.

colpee and ninenotes like this.
  14. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I was mostly in the drinking camp...

... hence my career as a teacher!

Sillow and lexus300 like this.
  15. ninenotes

But it never used to be this way in universities. They were places to discuss ideas but now there's a certain type who just want to ban things.

16. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

17. ninenotes

Mine hasn't "no platformed" either thank goodness.

Isn't it sad that an outside organisation has to organise campus debates on free speech? These banners are all wannabe politicians. The grown ups need to take charge and stop this otherwise the future rulers of the country will just ban everything.

lanokia likes this.
  18. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Agreed... not much else I can say really. I suspect Uni authorities are focused on raising money... more than issues of ideas and free speech.

19. ninenotes

My experience is that there are plenty of middle aged leftie staff who are encouraging the young to behave this way.

Meanwhile some of the best universities in the world become a laughing stock.

20. Didactylos4

Mine has varied as the decades have passed