1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Oxfor Maths Links new texts

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by soux, Feb 1, 2008.

1. Is anyone thinking of using this and found a scheme of work? I am really looking for an overview of the number of hours.
    If you have looked at it what did you think?

2. whoops thats OxforD

3. trinity0097

trinity0097 New commenter

They look almost identical to the Framework Maths textbooks that Oxford produce (or used to) when you look at the samples on their website. I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole because of this!

4. I would gladly take (1) a barge pole, (2) a stack of Oxford Framework books, and (3) a barge, and use items one and three to bury item two at the bottom of a disused canal
    :eek:)

5. Argh, whats wrong with them. They look good on the surface, details please, please, please.

6. trinity0097

trinity0097 New commenter

They are good at looking good on the surface!

Left hand side of every page is worthless as it's too complicated for pupils to understand, so you pay for twice as much paper as you might use! Then the examples far too quickly get onto weird wordy applications, without enough practice of the skill. There's no point in trying to apply a method/concept until you are secure in it!

I sometimes use the books now as extension work after pupils have been using something more 'traditional' like Essential Maths, or KS3 Maths from Elmwood.

The literacy required is far too complex for lower ability pupils who on the whole also have lower reading ages. If I was to use the books with a lower set I would spend the whole time explaining what they had to do and ending up doing it all for them!

7. I agree with post 4. Terrible books. We had them at my last school. Used the core book with my sets 2 and 3 and it was hopeless. Exercises either completely boring or got too difficult too soon with problem type questions. Might be ok for top set students?

8. Maths Frameworking (similar to Maths Connect) was released at a time where writers were trying to incorporate other topics whilst studying a main topic. The difficulty came when students forgot the other topics and therefore could not access the main topic. If these work schemes are followed to the letter they can work very well, but it leaves little for the teacher to innovate.

They work best with small study groups of, say 6-10 pupils. Not many schools have that!

9. Trinity has explained my views almost exactly.

It is the only textbook we have in any numbers at my school, and I hate it.

Each double-page spread looks attractive, but...

*The information section on the left is too often chaotically set out, perhaps a case of trying to explain too much in too little space.

*The information section is not sufficient on its own t teach children the necessary skills- so it's not useful for independent working

*Since whole-class teaching is my preferred method of instruction, I'd rather use constructed examples for my input, rather than just talking through (i.e. trying to decode and explain the explanatory page)

*The volume of questions is far too great on most pages for children to get very far - although far too few on some others (some of the data handling stuff springs to mind)

*As trinity says, there is little or no opportunity for drill and practice (or consolidation as we might call it) of skills, which is sometimes what is required

*Too often, skills are required to answer questions which may well appear earlier in the text, but in different contexts - and anyway, I have no intention of ploughing through the text book page after page all year!

Personally, my preference would be to have a range of resources to dip into, and Framework really doesn't lend itself to that. I wonder if it might be a suitable text for a tutor on a remote island, who might be less confident in their own mathematics.

But, if I ever find myself in the position to replace our texts, it would take a huge transformation for me to consider Oxford in the future.

10. Thanks for the replies.
    We are chaning our KS3 scheme from Maths Connect.
    Any more opinions on Maths Links or Exploring Maths?