1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Oxbridge offers

Discussion in 'Education news' started by Skeoch, Jan 17, 2019.

1. Skeoch

Skeoch Star commenter

2. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

CheeseMongler and BetterNow like this.
  3. aypi

aypi Senior commenter

The best student I ever taught, possibly by a factor of 10, was declined by Cambridge. He was provincial. His interview if talking about philosophical things might not have been up with the ones who practice these things, if it had turned to maths and science, he would have wiped the floor with the Camerons of this world.

BetterNow and Mrsmumbles like this.
  4. bessiesmith

bessiesmith Occasional commenter

I hadn't realised it was selective. Not quite as impressive as I'd first supposed - if you only take in students with Oxbridge potential it's not that surprising when they get Oxbridge offers. Still - at least it is bringing a bit more diversity to those institutions which must be a good thing.

5. miss_singmarbles

miss_singmarbles New commenter

What was he applying for then? If he applied for maths or science then the interview would have been based on maths or science. Sounds like a fair bit of speculation to me, plenty of "provincial" students do get offers.

6. gainly

gainly Star commenter

Indeed they do. They even let me in!

7. aypi

aypi Senior commenter

It was maths he applied for.

8. BetterNow

BetterNow Occasional commenter

The cynic in me would be less cynical had the students not been all from the same school.... If the amount of applicants from state schools had increased across the board. However, it all smacks of great publicity. I don’t know. I should be over the moon really having seen great students fail to get in, but yesterday I was raising an eyebrow.

CheeseMongler likes this.
  9. CheeseMongler

CheeseMongler Lead commenter

To me, I can't help but imagine that this was some sort of negotiation... hey Oxbridge we can fill your quotas of ethnic minorities / disadvantaged students from our chain if you take X number of additional students. This means you don't have to trawl through all those other state school applications in a time consuming (fair) way and it makes us look good.

BetterNow likes this.
  10. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Worth remembering that both Oxford & Cambridge are made up for separate colleges, and whilst they obviously liaise to make sure its (relatively) straightforward to apply, any applicant can only get a place at the University if a college accepts them.

The 'University' per se organises lectures, exams etc but not admissions. So your idea would only work if 20+ colleges at each University went along with that...which I can't see.

11. dodie102

dodie102 Occasional commenter

Very selective Large Sixth Form, much better funded, motivated students who want to be there and will travel over an hour to get there. My school could only dream of being able to fund staffing to be open between 06.00 and 19.30 for students.

I do think some of us teaching in more rural schools get the proverbial 'crumbs' when it comes to funding and that rural deprivation is underrepresented in the media - and by that I certainly don't mean that London students shouldn't get that funding - of course they should.

This isn't quite the amazing story that it seems though it is obviously great news for a more diverse intake and those hardworking students.

BetterNow and Lucy2711 like this.
  12. dodie102

dodie102 Occasional commenter

"The school buys every student their own textbooks to encourage independent study, he says.

It does not rely on supply teachers and has an in-house team of five Oxbridge graduates solely dedicated to university access.

The school also has a study centre open from 06:00 until 19:30." From the BBC article.