1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Oxbridge essay requirements?

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by redpens, Sep 7, 2011.

1. One of my students has been asked to write an essay in French (no topic specified) for an Oxbridge application. Does anyone have any experience of this? I'm assuming the title should be some sort of analysis as per the old coursework or alternatively very creative. Is it better to write about a French based issue? Any ideas/advice would be very welcome.

2. For my Oxford application in 2004, I sent in a piece of coursework analysing a piece of French literature. Did the trick! Since not much changes there [​IMG] I assume it's still the same sort of thing they're after - looking for correct grammar, appropriate vocabulary, good construction of an argument, appropriate register, etc. I also had to send in an English literature essay. Hope this helps.

3. Hi Redpens,
    In my new job as Head of MFL in an Independent Boarding School, we have two Oxbridge applicants this year and neither have been asked to submit an essay at this stage... I would say that a critique of something that they have read in the TL (as MaltesersMFL describes) would be a good bet.

4. spsmith45

spsmith45 New commenter

Agreed.

5. Thank you for your replies - very helpful as I dont have much experience of this. The last time we had a candidate he was an outstanding and I mean outstanding linguist .... and he didnl' get in!
    Hi Saley - good luck in your new job!

6. castellano7

castellano7 New commenter

Yes I also sent a piece of coursework analysing a Truffaut film as part of my Cambridge application. Good luck, remember there are lots of excellent universities apart from Oxbridge (easy for me to say, I know).